5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A happy new year to all!

Hopefully this is the correct forum for my query.

Yesterday I did the monthly backup of my personal data files to DVD, but had difficulty closing Roxio at the end. Eventually a message popped up stating that Roxio 6 was no longer supported, and I should upgrade to Roxio 10 to avoid future problems. I manually checked the backup – at least 1% of the files in each folder – and found no problems.

This seems to leave me with four options, as follows:

1. Do nothing and continue using Roxio 6 until it stops working, as the backup seems to be satisfactory, and I am not aware of any support from the manufacturer. Certainly I have not installed any patches, etc, and I fail to see why it should not continue as before. I can tolerate a certain amount of hassle when closing it.

2. Take the easy option and upgrade to v10. But 50 seems a lot for something only used once per month.

3. Buy a new DVD writer, which will presumably come with Roxio 7 or 8. This is a cheaper option, costing only about 30 or so, and providing new software and a replacement DVD writer when needed.This appeals because in my experience DVD writers only last 2 – 3 years, even with little use.

4. Buy an external hard disk. There is the problem of where to place it on my crowded desk, but hopefully it could be used for regular backups and the occasional image file of the entire system.

Any advice gratefully received, especially with regard to option 4, as I understand that an image file can only be reinstalled in its entirety, whereas I occasionally need to extract individual files from a backup, and I do not know whether both types of backup can be stored on a single hard drive.

George

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would surely go with choice 4. A good external disk is cheap these days, and many models can stand "vertically", occupying little space on the desktop. Imaging software can create image files, which are files like any others and so, yes, you can store images and regular files on a single drive. It's even possible that you can find a hard disk that will include backup software too.

Depending on your OS, you may even have imaging software already. In all my backups I use imaging software to external hard disks. Think it is the preferable option, given the low cost of external HDs.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Regards
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by George Lee View Post
    Buy an external hard disk. There is the problem of where to place it on my crowded desk, but hopefully it could be used for regular backups and the occasional image file of the entire system.

Any advice gratefully received, especially with regard to option 4, as I understand that an image file can only be reinstalled in its entirety, whereas I occasionally need to extract individual files from a backup, and I do not know whether both types of backup can be stored on a single hard drive.

George
    George,
    Hello.... Get another Imaging program such as Macrium Reflect ( free and pay for versions ) the free is here [ur]http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp[/url] and you can "upgrade" (to do file level ) if you choose . Another is Acronis True Image Home ... i would recommend version 2010 V-7046 if you can still find it as the 2011 is still too buggy... ( for my taste) see this http://forum.acronis.com/forums/acro...-true-image-ho

Do you have any room inside your PC ? Some have spare slots and extra ports on your motherboard... Post back if you have more questions ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello George - Happy New Year to you and your family

If you only use Roxio to make backups of your data files, you might want to consider one of the many free CD/
    DVD burner software programs.

Take a look at CDBurnerXP
    CDBurnerXP

Key Features
    * burn all kinds of discs
    * audio-CDs with or without gaps between tracks
    * burn and create ISO files
    * data verification after burning process
    * create bootable discs
    * multi-language interface
    * bin/nrg → ISO converter, simple cover printing and much more!
    * Operating Systems: Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server/Vista/2008/Win7 (x86 / x64)

Eventually, you will want to get an external drive as you say ....
    4. Buy an external hard disk.

Good luck,
    Tim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you gentlemen.

I shall follow your advice and get a backup hard drive, external for the greater security in the event of burglary or a power surge.

However, I think I shall try Tim’s suggestion first – I had not realised there were free burner programmes, and it will be interesting to see whether it can read my Roxio backups. I know from previous experience that Roxio and its chief competitor are incompatible.

George

PS Thanks to Rui for mentioning some drives can to used vertically. This would fit behind the monitor along with the router.