New Lounger
    Thanks
    There was a thread called
    Evil Word Styles (Word XP VBA)
    concerning Word 2002 & XP

The discussion included macros to remove Char Char Char styles and the like. Aka "frenkenstyles", "dancing styles", "evil styles".

After updating to Word 2010, I still find that I have these styles lingering in various .doc(x) and .dot(x) files.

Does anyone know how to remove them?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't have a ready answer, but a couple of questions:

Are the 'char char' styles showing up in documents created from scratch in Word 2010, or are these in documents that were created in an earlier Word version and then saved up to .docx or .dotx formats? - My understanding was that it became much harder to create 'char char' styles starting with Word 2007, due to the introduction of 'linked' styles.

Also, where are you seeing the 'char char' styles in Word 2010? - are they showing in the Quick Styles gallery, or in the Styles pane?

There was a thread here in 2002 or 2003 about these, that included some attempts at macro solutions (including one I had done). If I recall right, all of these had some drawbacks, though.

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dyson 2 View Post
    There was a thread called
    Evil Word Styles (Word XP VBA)
    concerning Word 2002 & XP

The discussion included macros to remove Char Char Char styles and the like. Aka "frenkenstyles", "dancing styles", "evil styles".

After updating to Word 2010, I still find that I have these styles lingering in various .doc(x) and .dot(x) files.

Does anyone know how to remove them?
    If you can see the char,char (unlinked) styles in the styles pane, the old macros (or at least my old macro from Word Hacks ) will delete them. If you can only see the char,char styles in the Find Styles dialog (Find and Replace dialog > More button > Format >Style), the only method I've found to work was posted by Klaus Linke in 2009, which is now on this archive site: (http://www.wordbanter.com/archive/in.../t-137107.html ).

Unfortunately it is a one-at-a-time task and the style names must exactly match. Char styles don't seem to proliferate in W2007 and 10 and unless there are very many of them in a document, it's probably not worth the effort to get rid of them. But I definitely would try to get rid of all char styles in a template.

Pam
    Pam Caswell