Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hi Loungers,

Below is my experience with the HP Photosmart D110 Wireless InkJet printer. YMMV

I'm currently on the road with my wife, 2 cats and 2 Win-7 laptops. We usually travel with a USB {long cord} HP Inkjet printer. Over the weekend the cartridges ran dry so we headed to Sam's Club for replacements. While there we found we could buy a whole new WIRELESS HP for $4 bucks more than the replacement cartridges {yes I know about the whole razor blade marketing thing}. So why not give it a try and do away with that darn USB cable. So to do our part for the economic recovery we whipped out the credit card and took the new printer home.

Frankly, I was amazed a the changes in setup technology. This printer has a little touch screen that shows animations on how to set up the printer. The printed instructions basically say to plug it in and follow the prompts. It tells you when to and shows you how to insert the cartridges {2} and paper. Then when it comes to hooking it to the computer it asks if you want to use the USB cable {supplied} or wireless.

I, of course chose, wireless. It then searches for available networks {you do need a router for this to work} and sure enough it found 8 of them in the RV camp. I selected mine, a combination repeater/router, and it then figured out a PSK {pre-shared key} was required and provided a little keyboard on the screen to enter it. Now this is a little klunky because you have to use the left/right arrows to select each character then click OK to enter it. You also have to change keyboard layouts to enter capitals, numbers, and symbols. Hey for $64 bucks what do you want! Upon successfully entering my 17 character pass phrase it successfully connected, obtained an IP address and printed an alignment page that was then put on the scanner and automatically aligned the print heads.

The printer was now completely setup, on to the computers.

I inserted the supplied CD into my laptop ran the setup program, a little slow, and viola the test page printed! Repeated process on wife's computer, only difference is hers asked for an IP address, so I entered it and same result.

Needless to say I'm quite impressed.

What is also interesting is that instead of the usual tyvek wrapping this printer came in a bag with handles, I think it is made of tyvek also but not sure. This bag is useable as a handy tote bag. The USB cable, power brick, power cable & cartridges came in a smaller version with a zipper, again reusable as a place to store accessories.

So far this printer work great and takes up less space in our over the couch cabinet than it's predecessor.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice write up! Thank you. I'm not a huge fan of HP ink jets, but your enthusiasm peaks my interest.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Chuck,

Actually, I haven't been a fan of HP since I ditched my LaserJet2 after 12 years of service. The HP we were using was given to me by a client who couldn't get it to work and went out and bought another printer. I took it home and hooked it up and it worked fine so I used it for my & my wife's limited color requirements, mostly I use a Brother laser. This was somewhat of an impulse buy as explained above but as I said I'm impressed but only time will tell!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I also use a wireless printer, a Canon Pixma MP620. Initially I had better success using Windows own built in printer setup, but always had intermittent success in seeing the printer on my network with our 2 laptops (bluetooth). To fix this problem, I resorted to running an ethernet cable between the printer and router. ( They both sit side by side anyway) This has allowed much better connection from our 2 laptops to the wireless printer. I realise our problem is most likely a set up issue, neither the s/w supplied with the printer or Win 7 s/w allowed as easy a setup as you obviously had. Perhaps this is because I have an earlier version of the wireless printer and things have improved since, who knows.

I chose the Canon because it has, if I recall correctly, 5 different color and black cartridges, so running out of one color for example does not require replacing and tri-color cartridge for $50 +. Instead I can replace one color for <$15. Seems to cost me less for ink now. The set up headache was worth the cost savings. I wish all manufacturers did something similar for ink cartridges, but this would cut down supplies sales of those that don't.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted,

Good morning. I agree with you completely on the whole multi-cartridge ink thing and usually recommend Canon printers to clients when they are doing a lot of color printing. That said, in this application, on the road with our RV, we don't do a lot of printing and even less color printing. So the main issues are ease of setup & space for which this all-in-one seems to fit perfectly. The unit fits easily, and by the way weighs very little, in one of the compartments over the sofa. We merely open the cabinet door, run the plug to the outlet on the underside of the cabinet, press the power button and we're ready to print/scan/copy. Works great for us. Of course YMMV!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs