New Lounger
    Thanks
    We are a CPA firm and we make use of ProSystem Fx tax software. One of the modules of the software makes use of the internet to process tax information intake. While other workstations in my office have no problem accessing the secure website through IE (https://www.taxnotebook.com/toolkit/ssobegin.asp?), my machine cannot reach the website. Instead, I am presented with a Windows Security box looking for a login and password. The message on the box reads “The server www.taxnotebook.com at localhost requires a username and password.” I know this should not happen (referencing “localhost” for an internet site), but I cannot come up with any explanation as to why it does happen, or what must be different on my machine than another. My partner’s machine is supposed to be the same as mine, but his works properly. Obviously I’ve done something to mine that was not done to his.

The only info I can find on the ProSystem Fx knowledgebase refers to “Clearing the SSL State”, but that has not solved the problem. When I research on the MS Knowledgebase, I find all kinds of links to IIS or CRM issues, but nothing seemingly related to my problem.

Any suggestions/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Ron Finer

P.S. IE is required (can't use Firefox, etc)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you open a command prompt window and type ping www.taxnotebook.com, what do you get?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You may want to check your Windows hosts file and your browser proxy settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui: When I ping taxnotebook.com, I can see the appropriate URL (160.109.109.38), though the ping times out. At first I thought this strange, but my pinging times out for sites like microsoft.com (207.46.107.32) and my own website at finercpa.com (205.178.189.131). I get a proper ping response from yahoo.com (67.195.160.76) and google.com (173.194.33.104).

jscher: I have reviewed both my hosts file and my lmhosts file looking for anything out of the ordinary, but both files are the default files installed with Windows 7. Additionally, I am not using any proxy servers.

I have even tried accessing the site with anti-virus and firewall turned off, but to no avail. Any more suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Are you running a web server on your PC or in your office? When I access the site I'm redirected to https://tc.tcsso.cchgroup.com/ssocentral/tc_logon.asp. Can you access that site directly?

Note: a ping timing out is not unusual these days. Ping has been used as a denial of service attack so many times that many websites just don't respond to it anymore.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Ron, ok, now to find if the issue is only with IE, can you try with another browser? I know you won't be allowed to login, but do you get access to the real site or is there another message with a reference to localhost?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool This is the fix!

Open the registry editor
    Navigate to:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform

Delete the .NET CLR 1.1.4322 string value at the right.
    Close the registry editor
    Launch the 2010 Internet Tax Notebook Toolkit and you will no-longer be asked for a login.

Mr. Kunkle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kunkle View Post
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform
    I have six versions listed. I wonder whether they are all needed for some purpose? Hmmm...