Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I decided to try the Windows 7 Backup, but I can't open the Backup and Restore Center, whether I go via Start, and type in Backup, or via the Control Panel
    "Backup and Restore".
    Can anyone suggest how I can rectify this problem. There may be a simple answer but it's got me bluffed.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fog View Post
    I decided to try the Windows 7 Backup, but I can't open the Backup and Restore Center, whether I go via Start, and type in Backup, or via the Control Panel
    "Backup and Restore".
    Can anyone suggest how I can rectify this problem. There may be a simple answer but it's got me bluffed.
    Yes, it is in Control Panel, but when looking for such things the quick way is to type what you want into the Search Box that opens directly above the Start Button every time you click on it. Here, for good luck, is a little Backup Tutorial from Microsoft.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Yes, it is in Control Panel, but when looking for such things the quick way is to type what you want into the Search Box that opens directly above the Start Button every time you click on it. Here, for good luck, is a little Backup Tutorial from Microsoft.
    That is exactly what I did. I cannot open it by either method.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Does the info here help?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    That is exactly what I did. I cannot open it by either method.
    My apology, I somehow misread your post to mean the exact opposite of what it says. (It's been a bad day.)

I recently performed a backup and image of one computer with no trouble at all, so it looks like you do have a problem, and I'm not sure I can help with it.

I can say that I have System Mechanic Pro (10.1.1) on the computer, but that is an entire suite and you can use it for a lot or a little, and I do not use it to repair my registry, amongst other things.

The obvious question is this: Do you already have a backup that might allow you to try to compare or restore the backup program itself (complete with registry settings)?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    Does the info here help?
    I saw that when I did a search but it doesn't help. Thanks anyway.

Lounger
    Thanks
    My apology, I somehow misread your post to mean the exact opposite of what it says. (It's been a bad day.)

I recently performed a backup and image of one computer with no trouble at all, so it looks like you do have a problem, and I'm not sure I can help with it.

I can say that I have System Mechanic Pro (10.1.1) on the computer, but that is an entire suite and you can use it for a lot or a little, and I do not use it to repair my registry, amongst other things.

The obvious question is this: Do you already have a backup that might allow you to try to compare or restore the backup program itself (complete with registry settings)?
    Thats ok, I have those days quite frequently. I did have Acronis True Image installed and it was a waste of time. I uninstalled it using Revo Uninstaller. The Backup and Restore may have not worked from the start, as I have never tried it before, and this computer is only a few months old. I guess I will have to try another Backup programme.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Anything showing up on the Events log?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    Anything showing up on the Events log?
    I am afraid reading and absorbing the information in the Events Log is beyond my Computer knowledge!!

Thanks
    Check through your services to ensure "volume shadow copy" is enabled and running. Acronis, if previously installed may have turned the service off.
    Run: services.msc
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Check through your services to ensure "volume shadow copy" is enabled and running. Acronis, if previously installed may have turned the service off.
    Run: services.msc
    Should that be on Automatic or Manual. Just got a list but it doesn't say whether it is enabled or not.? Tab to Start,. and drop down where it can be either Automatic, Manual, or Disabled. Not quite sure what I do.?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Two questions come to mind:

How are you fixed for restore points? These can be undone if you restore to an earlier configuration, and if you can think of anything that might have messed up the native Windows Backup you might restore to a point prior to that to get it right.

If the native Backup is messed up without your ever having used it, then your entire installation is of questionable value, which is to say that you might need to get serious about the state of your entire operating system. Did you make a repair disk? There is also the matter of your having had Acronis installed and then uninstalling it. The version may matter, but if you made even a single backup that you still have it's a simple enough matter to boot Acronis from CD and see if you can't do something about restoring Windows own Backup.

Having one Windows application that you have never used fail to work makes it look like Windows itself may be corrupt. I advise against looking for an alternative when the default is out of order for reasons unknown. You say the system is only a few months old, and it's a pain in the neck to do it but you can surely copy all of your data and re-install everything, updates included, to get it right. If it's part of your system and it isn't working now is the time to do it, before you have even more applications and data.

I should also mention that you can use your installation disk for Repair mode: specify the Language option, then when prompted to Install select Repair Mode instead. You may be stuck with re-installing upgrades, but at least you will should have your system back.

Lounger
    Thanks
    That is all a bit beyond my computing capabilities. What about the idea of me reinstalling Acronis. It was working to a certain degree.? I did make a restore disk in Acronis but I guess that wouldn't work now that I have uninstalled Acronis eh.?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    That is all a bit beyond my computing capabilities. What about the idea of me reinstalling Acronis. It was working to a certain degree.? I did make a restore disk in Acronis but I guess that wouldn't work now that I have uninstalled Acronis eh.?
    Sure it will work, but it would be safer to boot from the Acronis boot disk if you made one. Once Acronis is up and running, then you will have to navigate to the location of the backup, since Revo will probably have deleted any data about the backups you made. This also takes us back to the question of how long ago you made the backup, and whether you have any restore points since then. (Type restore point in the search box, and you'll get plenty about that since it's a part of Windows.)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure it will work, but it would be safer to boot from the Acronis boot disk if you made one. Once Acronis is up and running, then you will have to navigate to the location of the backup, since Revo will probably have deleted any data about the backups you made. This also takes us back to the question of how long ago you made the backup, and whether you have any restore points since then. (Type restore point in the search box, and you'll get plenty about that since it's a part of Windows.)
    Yes. I made an Acronis boot disk. I made the backup on 16 December. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast