Lounger
    Thanks
    A retired couple, living in Florida during the coldest months of the year and in Chicago for the rest, is looking for a way to afford broadband (3G, DSL, etc.) for their notebook PC. I know that Cricket Wireless offers no-contract, month-by-month 3G service in the Chicago area (which would be ideal for my friends), but not in North Palm Beach, FL where they stay. Dial-up service is worthless for anything by e-mail (can't get anti-virus to update, can't upload family pictures, etc.). Has anyone heard of solutions for "snow-birds"?

Thanks
    I use a Verizon wireless 3G USB 760 modem for my laptop but the signal strength can vary per location. Where I'm at now it's nearly comparable to DSL.
    The Verizon I'm paying 50 dollars per billing period with 5GB max download.
    I travel frequently with my job, approx. every 3-6 months, and would always take Cable over any other internet access types.
    The Verizon wireless is a failsafe while on the road.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I also use Verizon, and have had no problems. I have the same plan as Clint. Where I can get free WiFi I will use that instead, with a VPN, but everywhere else Verizon works for me. you can also put the plan on vacation for several months if you know you are not going to be needing it for a while.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry -- should have added to my original request: lowest cost is primary consideration. $50/mo. with an annual contract is too expensive for this fixed-income couple. Currently, they are paying $7/month for dialup. The goal is $30/month, pay as you go (no contract) similar to how Cricket works.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    I know Verizon has some cheap Data plans, you might take a peak
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like we've got a good solution: my friends will be sharing an 802.11G connection with a neighbor couple who they happen to know well, and trust. Thanks everyone who replied!!! :->