Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a custom template that I built myself about two weeks ago. We store this and a host of other custom templates on a shared drive.

A colleague is now working on a document based on that template. Today I tried to open the template (not a document) to change a couple of things, but I'm getting the little box saying I have to open it as read-only or work on a local copy. What's going on here? I can't imagine that we can trace the problem to the open document that my neighbor is working on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post
    A colleague is now working on a document based on that template. Today I tried to open the template (not a document) to change a couple of things, but I'm getting the little box saying I have to open it as read-only or work on a local copy. What's going on here? I can't imagine that we can trace the problem to the open document that my neighbor is working on.
    A template may well be open and locked while a document "attached" to it is being edited. Perhaps you could fool Word using the Unlocker (http://cedrick.collomb.perso.sfr.fr/unlocker/) utility?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jefferson. This morning I jumped into this template before my colleague got his hands on the document that's based on the template. I did not get the "read-only" thing. This change in behavior may result from the simple fact that both of us restarted our computers at end of day yesterday. Or it may have resulted from my getting to the template first. At any rate, I'm editing it now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post
    Or it may have resulted from my getting to the template first.
    Hi Caesar3,

I've been supporting a client with a set of templates they keep on their network. I can't edit (well, I can't save) a template that someone else is using -- and using includes creating or working on a document based on that template. You can tell if a template is in use because the folder will have a ~$Templatename.dot file in it.

However, you can probably make a copy of the template, edit it, then save it off-line. Once the user closes the document, the ~$XXXX file should disappear and you'll be able to copy over the original file. This approach might be a little more convenient for you.

HTH, Kim

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    A-ha! Another valuable lesson learned. Thanks!