iNET Interactive
    Thanks

BEST PRACTICES

Protecting your browsing with EMET

By Susan Bradley

It's an all-too-common occurrence: As soon as Internet Explorer gets patched, another zero-day exploit is discovered.

If you'd like to give IE more protection from hackers, Microsoft has a little-known, free tool — EMET 2.0 — you should take a look at.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/01/06/07 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does EMET need to be running to work or is it a run once, set up and you're done deal?

Thanks
    Rather than trying to harden Internet Explorer, the safer, saner way to go is to use Chrome or Firefox whenever possible. No need for third-party applications or beta software -- Chrome especially is in many ways much less vulnerable to attacks than IE, especially under Windows 7.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Am using EMET for legacy software. Using IE for legacy software. Have tried Chrome, etc. won't work with my application. Thanks for your concern. Any hints on using EMET?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    EMET is a run once setup. Those of us who must use IE for certain line of business applications or web sites, have to use IE. My advice is to install it and try it. Test it with your applications.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows XP-3 and cannot get SEHOP or ASLR. What do I have to do in order to get both?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The PCPitstop overdrive test (to test the PC's health) stops working after activating EMET. That is, the test starts ok, but hangs on sending the results of the first part to the PCPitstop website. And that test cannot be used with another browser...

Any ideas on another website for a quick checkup similar to that test?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan,
    Which applications (besides IE) would your recommend running under EMET?

Thanks

Caution - EMET hell

I installed EMET and turned some things on and off and then a couple of my applications did not work, so I uninstalled EMET and rolled back to a system restore point just before I installed it.

Didn't work. My critical applications were still hosed.

I finally figured out that I had to reinstall EMET and change the settings. I set them all to Recommended and then my applications worked again.

Apparently EMET sets something in the firmware or the registry or somewhere that persists even if you uninstall it.

Moral: Be careful, go one step at a time, and test everything.

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE8 Netflix EMET

After installing EMET 2.0 and run instant play on Netflix I get Netflix screen
    Connecting .... Downloading..... Buffering... and then a popup "IE has stopped working. Checking for a solution." After a short wait another popup "A problem caused program to stop working. Windows will close the program and notify if a solution is available." Click on [CLOSE PROGRAM] the tab is recovered and same process repeats.
    Problem fix: Close IE8. Open EMET and click on [Configure Apps] under iexplorer.exe uncheck EAF. Then click [OK]
    Restart IE8 and Netflix problem is solved. Movie plays.