iNET Interactive
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

Return IE to its just-installed state with ease

By Fred Langa

Sometimes, when things go seriously wrong, it's best to send an application back to its original configuration.

With two clicks, you can return Internet Explorer to a pristine state and reselect the browser's initial settings.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/01/06/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by andyfboyd; 2011-01-18 at 15:03.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have on one occasion managed to get IE8 into a state where it would not open, and the Reset button wouldn't fix the problem, nor any amount of malware scanning. I never did figure out what happened. (I'm not sure if I tried the Fix It tool.)

But the solution was actually kind of obvious: download the IE8 installer and re-install IE8 ! It's not as fast or as elegant as those other two options, but in this particular case it worked.

It's also worth noting that you can run IE with "no add-ons" via Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools, if an add-on is suspect.

Lounger
    Thanks
    A note about memory card readers:

Many older card readers can't read any cards larger than 4 GB. For example, older 12-in-1 SanDisk readers. I have 3of them an none can read SD, SDHC, or CF cards over 4 GB. Ditto for older readers of some other brands. I had to buy a cheap multi-type reader to read my 8 and 16 GB cards, and the near-junk SD reader that came with a 16 GB card works perfectly.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding the "Forcing Internet Explorer to full-size": A possible work-around is to make it full size then hold down the cntrl key and click on the "X" to close it. The next time you open IE it should be full-size.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another suggestion for viewing more of the web page is to press the F11 key. This hides the menu bar, tool bars, and tabs, as well as Windows Quick Launch bar, and maximizes the browser window to fill the screen. You can still access the address bar and tabs by moving the mouse to the top of the screen; the address bar and tabs will temporarily appear. This is very handy and works in IE and Firefox (not sure about other browsers). Press F11 again to return to the previous window state.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks,

Great tip for viewing more of the webpage your looking at. Simple and works.
    Flewz

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Where is the tip for which Paul DeLeeuw receives a gift voucher?