New Lounger
    Thanks
    HI

Does anyone have any ideas about the above two Windows updates, kb 970158 and kb 970159, that arrived on my machine this afternoon?

I am running Vista 32 SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. As at yesterday, when i manually checked, all updates had been installed per Windows Update. I had done a compete clean install only 3 weeks ago, then let the machine update before imaging it. I have allowed all updates since then to install.

I have Windows Update set to 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them', yet the two downloaded and installed without telling or asking me. The first i knew about it was my laptop performance decreased this afternoon, then Windows Explorer crashed several times and restarted itself, followed by a bunch of unexplained disk activity, then the obligatory Windows reboot question.

Doing a Google search i see many discussions about these over the last year or so but no conclusions and no explanation as to what the updates are really for, or why they download and install without permission

Search Microsoft KB shows nothing except links to discussion forums threads asking the same questions as i have above

Thanks for any assistance

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Seems the update arrived before the blurb.
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...f-57c71de196b3

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul

Thanks for the comment

If you look at the dates of the thread pointed to by the link, you will see it spans January 6 to October 15 2010 (last year!)

The issue discussed still appears to be the same, the updates installed without permission and there is STILL no corresponding KB article. Now we are a year later.

Also why did this install on my machine yesterday, where previously i had checked and installed all available updates?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    MS updates patches and re-releases them, sometimes they tell us, sometimes they don't. Re-released patches are re-installed by WU.

cheers, Paul