2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometime ago i bought Office 2010 Professional edition, because I do have some Access applications. When the package arrived it seemed to contain that software. During the XMas recess I finally found time to install that software on my brand new computer. However when I opened the plastic box, it did contain a DVD labeled "Office Home and Business". That edition does not contain Access. So I panicked, and I ordered in a hurry a separate Access software. It duely arrived and I could finally start my installation.

I began with the Professional Package (labeled Home and Business) and when I entered the requested license key, it somehow magically installed Access (and the Publisher ase well). So I sat stuck with a now superfluous Access package, that I fortunately could return to the seller (amazon) without much hassle, except for the expedition costs.

I really wonder if it is a deliberate action from Microsoft to trick their customers in buying addtional unneeded software. I wouldn't be surprised.

Hopefully, I warned you.

Thanks
    I suspect that the DVD was accidentally mislabeled. According to the MS Office 2010 comparisson site the Professional version includes the entire suite. These mistakes do sometimes happen. If there was indeed a question about the original DVD the appropriate recourse probably was to return the original DVD and have it replaced with an appropriately labeled DVD. If there was a mislabeling problem, there are undoubtedly many others as I would suspect an entire run of DVD's have the incorrect label. I do not / can not believe this mislabeling was intentional.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    the appropriate recourse probably was to return the original DVD and have it replaced with an appropriately labeled DVD.
    This was my first thought, but:
    • I had opened the shrink wrapped package. In principle I could no longer return it.
    • Trying to explain to a (automated) helpdesk in this particular case for what reason I want a replacement is a task beyond my capabilities.

I hope you're right about MS's intentions, but I remain sceptic.

Thanks
    Some software publishers have a deliberate (manufacturing cost control) strategy of putting the identical blob of bits on each CD or DVD, and then installing whatever your key corresponds to. However, they do not put this information on the front of the CD or DVD; that part should show the version you purchased, otherwise the support calls would be out of control.