New Lounger
    Thanks
    I lost Firefox totally yesterday afternoon, after having been on it in the morning and all was fine. I got a FF crash report box; nothing happened when I repeatedly click on Restart Firefox. I refuse to use Internet Security but used it download Chrome; I was desperate for a browser. I don't like it. I really like FF, the addons, etc. I'm still getting the crash message box and can't access. Downloaded latest version again, tried to start it through program files/all programs. Nothing. Ran Malwarebytes manually Norton Int security 2011 in case of virus. This is bizarre. Thanks for any help you can give me. ec
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Hi Ellen, use http://revo-uninstaller-portable.en.softonic.com/ in safe mode to totally remove FF. Download a new copy of FF right click, unblock, apply ,OK then right click again and choose 'Run as Administrator'
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Its probably one of your add ons. See if you can start in Safe Mode ( http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe%20Mode ). If you can, use a process of elimination to determine which add on is at fault. Re enable each add on one at a time until you find the culprit.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you rebooted since the crash? I once had a misbehaving extension installed into Firefox (it was related to using a smartcard for signing into my corporate vpn) and noticed that once Firefox supposedly crashed that it was still running (that is, a firefox.exe process showed up in Task Manager). Any attempts to start Firefox again were ignored, of course, since such requests are redirected to the firefox.exe process already running, Using Task Manager to kill the firefox.exe process, or doing anything to kill the process such as rebooting, allowed me to start it up again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried everything there was to do: safe mode, uninstall/install, everything. Today I discovered the cause of the problem: I downloaded an ornamental font that obviously is malware!I I tried to download Firefox 4 meta and couldn't believe my eyes: All the text on the site was blocked out by the ornamental font. I've deleted it from my machine and memory sticks, and Windows fonts and ran Malwarebytes manually again and NIS 2011. I'm always so careful and never dreamed this could happen downloading a font. Will I have to uninstall Win 7 and do a clean install to get Firefox back? I love FF so much that I'm willing to do that. Thanks for your earlier replies and for any further help you can give me. I hope it's possible to get it cleaned out. ec

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Camner View Post
    I tried everything there was to do: safe mode, uninstall/install, everything. Today I discovered the cause of the problem: I downloaded an ornamental font that obviously is malware!I I tried to download Firefox 4 meta and couldn't believe my eyes: All the text on the site was blocked out by the ornamental font. I've deleted it from my machine and memory sticks, and Windows fonts and ran Malwarebytes manually again and NIS 2011. I'm always so careful and never dreamed this could happen downloading a font. Will I have to uninstall Win 7 and do a clean install to get Firefox back? I love FF so much that I'm willing to do that. Thanks for your earlier replies and for any further help you can give me. I hope it's possible to get it cleaned out. ec
    Ellen, a clean reinstall would be best, as it can be hidden in your restore points, which can be cleaned but is an intricate process.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Camner View Post
    If you have a restore point to a time before you installed the font try a sytem restore.

You could try to find any references to the font in the registry and delete them.

You could try Font Manager for Windows - FontExpert 2010. The site says it has a fully functional 30 day trial. Also, see FontDoctor. Its download page mentions a trial version but does not say it is fully functional.

Joe
    Joe