New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently upgraded my 3-year old HP Pavilion desktop computer from Vista (64 bit) to Windows 7 (32 bit) with a clean install. Now, my microphone levels are so low the speaking can't even be heard. I am using the same microphone and port as I always have used. I have updated the drivers with the latest one from Realtek. I have maximized the levels (100% on the microphone, and +30dB on the microphone boost) through Control Panel -- Hardware and Sound -- Manage Audio Devices -- Recording -- Microphone. No change. I have verified that I am working on the correct microphone jack. I am stumped. And I see from an Internet search that many other people have the same problem; in fact, I have tried every solution I found on the Internet to no avail. I would appreciate any help you might provide. Thanks, Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

I have been there and really didn't find any suitable solution, other than buying a Creative USB soundcard, which works very well. No microphone I tried on the integrated mic plug on my Toshiba laptop worked decently. Too low volume or too much noise. The sound hardware is from Realtek too.

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Jerome Oehler View Post
    I recently upgraded my 3-year old HP Pavilion desktop computer from Vista (64 bit) to Windows 7 (32 bit) with a clean install. Now, my microphone levels are so low the speaking can't even be heard. I am using the same microphone and port as I always have used. I have updated the drivers with the latest one from Realtek. I have maximized the levels (100% on the microphone, and +30dB on the microphone boost) through Control Panel -- Hardware and Sound -- Manage Audio Devices -- Recording -- Microphone. No change. I have verified that I am working on the correct microphone jack. I am stumped. And I see from an Internet search that many other people have the same problem; in fact, I have tried every solution I found on the Internet to no avail. I would appreciate any help you might provide. Thanks, Jerry
    Jerry, have you looked here ?

[attachment=91163:real.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    Hi,

I have been there and really didn't find any suitable solution, other than buying a Creative USB soundcard, which works very well. No microphone I tried on the integrated mic plug on my Toshiba laptop worked decently. Too low volume or too much noise. The sound hardware is from Realtek too.

Regards

Rui
    Would you mind posting a link to the one you purchased ?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, I tried the Realtek HD Audio Manager (located in Control Panel). I had made all those adjustments. This manager duplicated and made more convenient the controls I had already been working on. No new adjustments unfortunately. As you can see in the following screen capture, I have maximized the microphone recording volume. Also (but not shown) I have maximized the microphone boost to +30 dB.

[attachment=91164:Realtek screen for microphone.png]

Any other ideas, anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Would you mind posting a link to the one you purchased ?
    Sure. This is the X-Fi Go!. Works very well and the sound is pretty good, much better than the one from the speakers in my Portege M750.

They also seem to have another model now: The X-Fi Go Pro..

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Jerome Oehler View Post
    Roderunner, I tried the Realtek HD Audio Manager (located in Control Panel). I had made all those adjustments. This manager duplicated and made more convenient the controls I had already been working on. No new adjustments unfortunately. As you can see in the following screen capture, I have maximized the microphone recording volume. Also (but not shown) I have maximized the microphone boost to +30 dB.

Any other ideas, anyone?
    Part 2

[attachment=91167:Untitled.jpg]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, I made the stereo mix the default recording device. But I couldn't find any input jack that worked. I tried the mike and line-in jacks on the back of the computer as well as the mike jack on the front of the computer (HP says this goes to Aux In). All the input jacks gave zero input.

Also, in the Realtek HD Audio Manager, there is a link called "Device Advanced Settings" at the upper right. When I open this, I get two check boxes shown here.
    [attachment=91168evice Advanced Settings Dialog.png]

These don't even make sense for a microphone input. However, they started out checked. Now I have them unchecked. It doesn't seem to affect my problem.

Since the stereo mix seemed to turn off all microphone input, I have made it enabled but not the default device.

Any more ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi Jerry, the only time I used the settings was to record Web based radio with a program I had downloaded http://www.roemersoftware.com/free-sound-recorder.html but was not to my liking. Sorry I can't help further.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got it working. I don't know which change did it because I did two things. I swapped out the headset for another, and I tried it in administrative mode. And it just worked.

Thanks for all your help.