New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a laptop on which I have replaced Windows Vista with a clean install of Windows 7 Home. I'm using the laptop's built-in wireless to access the router. Initially it accessed the other PC on the home network and the Web just fine. But after several apps installs it can do file exchange with the PC on the home network OK but doesn't access the Web. Other PC's in the house work just fine with the Web.

Internet provider is AT&T (DSL).
    Router is an Apple Airport Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi.
    Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad, Model 4051
    Access is wireless

I'm pretty savvy on PC's, but I'm lost when it comes to networking. Help! Please!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you sure you are connecting to your router and not an unsecured one nearby?

Have you made any configuration changes in the router?

What happens if you temporarily disable the firewall on the PC?

Have you recently added or moved another wireless device, such as a phone, new printer, etc.) near the PC?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Hi David, and welcome to the Lounge!

Many times, DSL providers place a modem/router in your home, for example, an AT&T Two Wire, which has both devices built in. Does your DSL modem have a built in router? If so, I would remove the Apple router and try using just the DSL router.

How long have you had the Apple Airport Extreme router? The reason I ask is I bought one myself some months back, and had one laptop that refused to connect to the Internet while it was set up to the Airport Extreme. I tried everything I could think of and finally switched back to my old Linksys WRT54G and the problem went away. I returned the Airport Extreme and bought a Linksys E2000 Wireless N router. It too worked well with all our computers.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill