Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I run Windows 7 Home Premium. For reasons I wont bore you with I ran Aaron's tool to remove
    all my dotnet installations.
    My question is:
    Should I just install version 4 now; or do I have to go back and install 1.1, 2.0, 3.5 etc.?
    Thank you for your help.
    Dick

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    V4 should handle all your 1, 2, 3 and 3.5 requirements. No need to install anything else.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The .net version you must have depends on the requirements of the programs you have installed, or will install. Subsequent .net versions do not replace the previous ones, because if a program targets a specific version, you will need to have that version installed.

Considering the 4.0 version is rather recent, you're more likely to need previous versions that 4.0.The full install for .net 3.5 SP1 includes all the other necessary installs back to 2.0. It's unlikely that you may need 1.1 or 1.0. My Windows 7 PCs only have .net version from 2.0 on to 4.0.

So, should you start with 3.5 or 4.0. I would start with 3.5, as it's more likely you will need that one and it will install the previous ones too.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Play-time gets me in trouble. This all started when I tried to install the package mentioned in today's
    newsletter: Soluto.
    Going in, I had v4 of Dotnet to go with my Windows 7.

I got the following message when installing Soluto:
    It seems we were unable to install Microsoft’s .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, a crucial component needed to run Soluto. Please try to download and install the full package from Microsoft Download Center.

I tried that, and it wouldn't install.
    So I uninstalled v4, and tried again with 3,5 SP1. No joy.
    So I ran Stebner's cleanup for dotnet.
    When I try 3,5 now, it starts to extract files and then goes off into byte heaven.

You're right that I need 3.5 (as well as 4, probably.)
    Any suggestions as to how to get 3.5 to install would be much appreciated,
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Any time I've had a problem with .NET, I ended up downloading the complete install package for whichever version I needed rather than rely on the web installer.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:

I dodwnloaded the full install package, and tried that. Still no joy . . . still starts to extract
    and then goes off to never-never land.
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Dick,

As far as I know, Windows 7 comes with 3.5, not 4. Not that it matters much to this discussion...

If the full install doesn't work, does the web install work?

When you say, goes to byte heaven, exactly what does it mean? This can be a very lengthy install, if I recall.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui:
    Neither full nor the web install work.
    Both start the extract and in less than a couple of seconds 'vanish".
    Meaning, if I start task mgr, nothing shows up as running.
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Gonna check the situation in my VMs. If i don't have 3.5 installed, will download it and install just to get a feeling for how it goes and how long it takes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Both my VMs already have 3.5 SP1, so can't really test it. Sorry to ask, did you wait long enough for the install to complete?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Rui is correct. Windows 7 comes with .NET 3.5 SP1. You should not have to reinstall it nor should you be able to uninstall it. You can try using "Contorl Panel | Programs | Turn Windows Features on or off" to disable and/or re-enable .NET 3.5.

If you have .NET 4.0 installed that should be all you have to install unless a specific application looks for 1.1.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, Rui:
    Sorry for the delay in responding (went to the movies w/wife.)
    I restored my latest image, so I was back before all my latest "fun" began.
    What threw me off re: v4 or 3.5.1 is that when I list programs there's something
    called .Net Framework 4 Client profile.

When I looked at Windows Features, under 3.5.1 there were 2 sub-features that were unchecked.
    I checked them to add these features.

It's late, so I'm going to quit here, and in the morning I'll see if Soluto still wont install
    because it' says it's looking for 3,5,1.

Thanks for all your help. I'll report back in the morning.
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    You should not have to worry about the sub-features but they should not hurt either. The .NET 4.0 client profile contains the runtime software required for most client applications. See .NET 4 Client Profile Standalone installer & .NET 4 Framework Standalone installer for more information and download link.

I suggest that you run Windows Update and see if there are optional updates for either framework available.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe:
    I keep my system very current; but, at your suggestion, I ran Windows Update. Nothing came up.
    I think the "real" problem is with Soluto (at least as far as installing it on my system.)
    I sent a request for help to Soluto support yesterday, but have not heard back from them yet.
    For now, Soluto is no solution for me, and just adds to my frustration (rather than taking it away
    like their website says.)

If I hear anyhting back fro them, I'll post further. If not, I'm not going to to anything further
    with Soluto.

BTW, kudos to all those here who keep stressing taking images. That's what got me back
    to where I was before doing anything to dotnet stuff on my system.

Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Thanks Joe:
    I keep my system very current; but, at your suggestion, I ran Windows Update. Nothing came up.
    I think the "real" problem is with Soluto (at least as far as installing it on my system.)
    I sent a request for help to Soluto support yesterday, but have not heard back from them yet.
    For now, Soluto is no solution for me, and just adds to my frustration (rather than taking it away
    like their website says.)

If I hear anyhting back fro them, I'll post further. If not, I'm not going to to anything further
    with Soluto.

BTW, kudos to all those here who keep stressing taking images. That's what got me back
    to where I was before doing anything to dotnet stuff on my system.

Dick
    Dick,

If it is any comfort, Soluto didn't work for me either. Not because of .Net., but I found it too problematic in a number of ways.

Images are, indeed, a life saver. I have been using Acronis True Image since version 8.0 and it has been needed about half a dozen times and in all those times, I was really happy that I had it. Since 2010 they even have Try & Decide that will let you install apps without committing any changes to your system until you say so. Not sure if it works, as I never tried it, but seems a good way to try software like this one.

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast