New Lounger
    Thanks
    My friend's computer (HP) suddenly has big problems with O.E. 6. He has XP SP3 and I.E. 8. Problem is: in O.E., can't open attachments (error says file association is needed), No response when going to Tools menu items unless icon in Taskbar is rt.-clicked, can't print-(message says you must select a printer, but am unable to select). Cannot find an answer that works via Google search. Uninstalled O.E. 8 and re-installed it, but problem remains. Turned off Firewall (Comodo) and disabled anti-virus (Avast), but problem remains.
    Can open attachments and can print if attachments and messages are saved to Documents. Is there an answer somewhere?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It might be a sour answer but one needs to move away from OE6. If it were still supported it would be worth looking into but it could be something now that is no longer compatible with Windows update or later versions of browsers, etc. because OE6 hasn't been supported for many years now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Thornton View Post
    My friend's computer (HP) suddenly has big problems with O.E. 6.Is there an answer somewhere?
    I had issues with my OE6 and d/l and installed Thunderbird Mail client
    I have found it very comparable to OE6 and they should be pleased with the similarities. I liked it so well on my XP that I now use it on my Win 7 laptop as well.
    Take a sad song and make it better

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas re: switching to Thunderbird, et.al. I Have suggested that to my friend, but he is elderly and would like to stick with O.E. if a solution can be found.

Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas re: switching to Thunderbird, et.al. I Have suggested that to my friend, but he is elderly and would like to stick with O.E. if a solution can be found.
    What kind of attachments? One idea is to check security levels because sometimes your security settings are high and OE won't open attachments because they are prone to have viruses embedded. Open OE> Tools> Security Tab> and see if you need to uncheck Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virusť. Then confirm by clicking "OK."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The security level was checked and it was set appropriately-so that is not the problem. Thank you for the idea.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem was solved by: Uninstalled-Comodo, Avast, and SuperAntiSpyware. Replaced with: Microsoft Security Essentials. Now Outlook Express works fine.

Thanks
    Problem was solved by: Uninstalled-Comodo, Avast, and SuperAntiSpyware. Replaced with: Microsoft Security Essentials. Now Outlook Express works fine.
    That is so great!!!!