Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Part of my worksheet is formatted with All Borders. Some of the cells have a fill. When I move cell contents, either by cutting or by dragging, the formatting comes with it, and is removed from the original cell. Is there a way to apply or lock formatting so this won't happen?

I've looked at using the "Format as Table" feature, but I can't get the borders and shading I want, even if I create a new table style.

I could copy, paste values, then clear the original cells, or I could create a VBA macro, but I would think there should be a simpler way to do this, since it seems like a common problem.

-Stuart

Thanks
    If you cut or drag, you are moving the actual cell, so the formatting goes too.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised that Excel doesn't provide a simple way to do this. A lot of people format spreadsheets with borders and fill, and then cut/copy/drag information. I would think there would be a lot of requests for this. Oh, well. I guess Bill G. knows best about what we should and shouldn't want..

-Stuart

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are so many possible results that users might want when dragging cells - MS had to choose one and I suppose its inevitable that that doesn't please everyone.

However there's an easy workaround - juts use the Format Painter to restore the formatting which is your particular requirement. That;s exactly what it is provided for.

Thanks
    You might find it preferable to use Copy/Paste Special. There are a number of options in the dialog box that should give you what you want.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile