2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a half dozen small MS Word documents and MS Excel spreadsheets that I use heavily. I would like to be able to store them in some (free) “cloud” storage service and then upload, download, and (hopefully) modify them from any internet connected PC (public or private) without having to install programs or modify the PC I’m using in any way. I’ve tried a number of “cloud” storage services and they all seem to want me to install a program on the computer that I’m using or make other modifications in order to make it work. I don’t want to do that. I just want to use whatever browser is available to quickly and simply access my small files in the “cloud” from any computer I might be using.

Can that be done, and if so, what’s the easiest way to do it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thanks
    Although DropBox works more seamlessly when you install its software -- you can save directly into its folder or drag and drop -- you can use a browser to download and upload files from your DropBox on any PC.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
    I have a half dozen small MS Word documents and MS Excel spreadsheets that I use heavily. I would like to be able to store them in some (free) "cloud" storage service and then upload, download, and (hopefully) modify them from any internet connected PC (public or private) without having to install programs or modify the PC I'm using in any way. I've tried a number of "cloud" storage services and they all seem to want me to install a program on the computer that I'm using or make other modifications in order to make it work. I don't want to do that. I just want to use whatever browser is available to quickly and simply access my small files in the "cloud" from any computer I might be using.

Can that be done, and if so, what's the easiest way to do it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Check out SkyDrive: Get started - Upload photos online, share files in email & Office Web Apps on SkyDrive - Use Word, Excel, PowerPoint online. It is all free, with nothing to install. 25GB of online storage.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Jungle Disk and storing on Amazon's servers. JD maps a drive to your computer...and when you are using someone else's computer, you can just go to a website and log in to access your files. No need to install software.

Doug

PS - whoops - this is not a free service!

Have you looked at Google Docs? They have the ability to upload files - then you can use them in native program or let Google convert to their format.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Skydrive is a part of Windows Live/Hotmail, etc. No software to install...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Google Docs.

I find it very simple and easy to use

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried some of them but will go back and try again. Do any of these options allow a simple copy of a folder instead of having to copy each file one at a time? Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Anything that creates a mapped drive, such as the the dropbox client, will let you move folders as well as files.

Caveat: Keep in mind you are depending on any 'cloud' service to do 2 things:

1. Keep your stuff safe from hackers, viruses, etc.

2. Stay in business, or, conversely, not decide suddenly decide to monetize their service by holding your files for ransom.

That said, I advise - well, badger - all my clients to set up off-site backup. This works the other way around, too; If you keep your stuff on a remote server, back it up locally. There are many free programs that will do this for you automatically. E.g., Goodsync. Lastly, you can keep your stuff on a your main pc, and backup to a flash drive. Just store it in a different building than the one your computer is in.

Thanks
    Roger, perhaps a Flash drive would achieve your goals in a simpler way?

Keep it in your wallet, and sync it with your main PC whenever you like.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    THanks Brian - actually a flash drive is exactly what I have been using. The problem is remembering to carry it around with me and not using it for other purposes. I was hoping to simplify my procedures by storing my files in the "cloud" and accessing them in a way that is as simple and fast as accessing a flash drive. A flash drive is in fact quite simple and works on every PC with no external intervention. So I was hoping to use "cloud" storage in the same way. So far, I don't think I have found a procedure for "cloud" storage that is as simple to use as a USB drive, however. I'm still experimenting.

Thanks
    One downside of using a flash drive is that if there is a power supply or other failure in the computer when the drive is plugged in, a voltage surge could take out the flash drive and computer at the same time.

Thanks
    I have been using Dropbox for a short while but it is the solution for using files on different devices (desktop, laptop, smart phone...). You can also share files with other people with a different Dropbox account. It runs in the background and syncs the files in the cloud (secure) when you start your device. It's quite wonderful to have access to your working files from anywhere, even using their website. To match your other cloud computing and storage you should also use Lastpass, which stores all your logon ids/passwords in the cloud. Remember just one really good password to use ALL your passwords. You can find these and other great tools on my PDQ Library "Best Free Software Downloads" - http://web.ncf.ca/pat/pdqlib/download.html This list has been online in various forms for about 15 years.