View Poll Results: Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I dont use any other AV

6 46.15%
  • I use MSE, but back it up with another product

4 30.77%
  • Ya gotta be kiddin'

3 23.08%
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have read one column, and now in Windows 7 for Dummies, the author applauds Microsoft Security Essentials. This may be a silly question, but how can you trust the folks who make their software with enough holes that patches come out every month just to plug them?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Julian View Post
    I have read one column, and now in Windows 7 for Dummies, the author applauds Microsoft Security Essentials. This may be a silly question, but how can you trust the folks who make their software with enough holes that patches come out every month just to plug them?
    Really? So tell me, what OS are you going to use that does not require patching, one time or another?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Evidently you've never read about the patches released by other OS vendors. Apple releases humongous patches that routinely have dozens of security fixes in them. No one writes code that is without error. Microsoft is just the biggest target and gets more publicity about its regular patch schedule than others.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    And of course, the multiple Linux versions have a huge number of security fixes added regularly too. Bug patching is just part of the software life cycle and the more complex the software, the more likely it will have bugs that will need fixing.
    There was a time when MS was blamed for being slow to patch, now it's blamed because it patches too much. Oh, well.
    Rui
    -------
    R4