4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Windows XP and rely on PartitionMagic 8.0 for drive management and disaster recovery. in nearly 10 years of use, it has never given me trouble. Today it did so at the worst possible time.

I suffered a power failure which corrupted some of my system files. My plan for this case was to boot the PartitionMagic CD, unhide a partition that contains a backup of my system drive, and restore the corrupted files if possible, or the entire partition if necessary.

PartitionMagic booted but displayed a message which said that a few maintenance utilities were on drive A, and PartitionMagic itself was on drive Y. Wrong. There was no drive Y.

It displayed what looked like a menu for selecting operations. I think the items were (1) Boot, (2) PartitionMagic, and (3) DOS. There is no menu prompt, though; just a drive A prompt.

I tried everything I could think of to make PartitionMagic run, but failed. I was finally able to restore my system by other means, but I consider this a critical problem; until it is resolved, none of my disaster recovery provisions are viable.

What happened here, and how can I correct it?

Thanks
    Was this a CD that was made by Partition Magic 8, or is it something you made up yourself, or got from someone else?
    Is the CD damaged? Maybe a big fat finger print? Have you tried to just Clean It?
    By the way, have you checked your CD drive to make sure it's working properly?

My own disaster recovery would fall into what you called "other means", as I've used almost nothing but "Ghost" for my own disaster recovery for the past ten or more years. I don't say "Norton's Ghost" because I was using Ghost long before Symantec bought it and attached the Norton name to it.
    All the early versions, up through version 11.5 would run from a DOS boot disk, (flash drive or CD) but all versions after that only run from within windows. Not good!

I still back up my system weekly with Ghost 2003 run from a floppy disk. I know that sounds archaic, but hey.....it works GREAT!
    I also have Ghost 11.5 on a Bootable Flash drive and CD.

But don't get me wrong.... I do have Partition Magic 8 on CD, Flash Drive, etc. It's getting old though and isn't the best for working with Windows 7 HD's.
    For the drives with Vista or Win-7 installed, I'm using Easeus Partition Master Professional.

So, ......do you have PM8 installed on your HD so you can make a new CD? That would seem like the next logical step. Eh?
    Or, do you need to acquire one by "other means" ? Just sayin'.........

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Later -- I had a chance to try booting that CD... and it worked. Everything that should be there is there. I've never before seen a bootable CD that didn't have a recognizable directory. Maybe it's because PM's host op system is DR DOS rather than MS/PC DOS.

I did have one puzzling experience: PM didn't recognize my mouse. That wasn't a problem before my original CD ceased to be bootable, so I wonder if you have any insight into it.

Considering the amount I'll have to use the program, though, it's a nuisance rather than a real problem.

Again, thanks for your help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I've said elsewhere, the immediate problem is about 95% solved. I'll add some further thoughts and respond to your questions for the record.

This incident got me thinking about what I'll do when I migrate to a 64-bit version of Windows (XP or 7). As you observed, PM8 support for Windows 7 is chancy. I found several people who had good things to say about a free Linux or stand-alone program called GPartEd -- and several people who hated it. Have you, or has anyone else, considered opinions to offer?

Whatever, I'll take your mention of Easeus under advisement as well.

Responding to your questions: the CD I was trying to boot was the original PM8 distribution CD. So far as I can tell, PM8 won't make a bootable rescue CD. (It will make a bootable set of two rescue diskettes, and I made those as soon as I got Windows working again. Floppies are not my preferred removable media, though.)

The CD does not appear to be damaged. Under Windows, it looks like all of the files that should be on it are on it. They just aren't accessible, as it appears they should be, when I boot from it. I haven't tried cleaning it, but since the problem is largely resolved, there doesn't seem to be much point. I'll try it when I get around to it. (Given the nature of the problem, it seems unlikely that the CD drive is at fault. If I couldn't boot at all, or if the CD were unreadable, I'd suspect that.)