New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I have a document in Word 2007 which contains a lot of hyperlinks. Every hyperlink is followed by the text 'see page nnn' where n is a cross reference to a page number (page numbers are between 1 and 250).

I've been trying to fathom how I can use wildcards in Find/Replace to change instances of 'see page nnn' to a specified character style, but I just can't get to the bottom of how to express the page numbers as wildcards.

Can anybody help please?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewriter View Post
    I've been trying to fathom how I can use wildcards in Find/Replace to change instances of 'see page nnn' to a specified character style, but I just can't get to the bottom of how to express the page numbers as wildcards.
    In the Find what pattern, there are many ways to refer to 3 sequential digits. For example:

Code:
    (see page [0-9]{3})
    In the Replace with pattern, you can refer to the match (because it is in parentheses) as:

Code:
    \1
    (That's a 1 for first match, not a lower case L.)

Does that help?

I'm assuming the number is not a Word cross-reference field: field codes could be damaged (wiped out, probably) by this kind of replace.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Lonewriter,

The wildcard find expression for this is 'see page [0-9]{1,3}'. For the replace expression you can use '^&' and set the replacement style to the required character format.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]