New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried searching for a fix for this and was unable to locate one so hopefully I'm not re-plowing the field. I'm also beginning to think this is an issue with the HP1020 driver but hope someone can help.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Windows 32 bit Vista Business, SP2 with all updates done. A few months ago I had a hard drive crash and re-loaded my system and reinstalled all the software. To the best of my knowledge, I have the most current HP1020 printer driver but HP doesn't have any for download..

Prior to the reinstall, if I ran out of paper, I had a dialog box pop up saying the printer was out of paper and gave me a choice between Cancel and Retry. I'd fill the paper, click Retry and be back in service.

Since the reinstall, if the paper runs out, first, I get a background task bar notification that there is an Interactive Services Dialog. When I select that, it gives me the option of "Show me the message" or "Remind me in a few minutes". When I click to Show the Message, it blanks out the desktop and brings up the same "Paper Out" dialog box I used to get. When I add paper and select Retry, it closes the Paper Out dialog and, with the desktop still blanked out, I'm informed that the System no longer needs my attention and I have to click a box to return control to the system.

I have tried changing the Services Setting for Interactive Services. If I choose to either Stop or Disable the Interactive Services, I don't get any of the paper out messages and while I have the Printer icon in my SysTray showing the print job, I can not resume printing. If the Service is set for Manual, I have the same multi-step process for telling the printer to resume printing.

I've also tried playing with the minimal printer driver options for the 1020 and haven't been able to find anything that will clear up this multi-step process.

Does anyone know of a way to get the Paper Out dialog without having to jump through the multiple hoops that the Interactive Services dialog requires?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    You can get the latest drivers for your HP 1020 here:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...=439423&taskId

There is a lso a link on this page that will automatically check to see if you already have the latest driver installed.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry. When I go to that location, select Windows 32 bit Business, HP 1020 printer, all that is available for download are diagnostic utilities. I did try the driver check but for some reason it isn't completing properly. I don't think the driver I am using is an old one though. I'll try to do the check again after changing some IE security settings and if I find I have an old driver that could be updated, I'll let you know.

Bob