New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently got a new computer, a Gateway FX 6800. I am in the process of setting it up as a triple boot Win7 64bit, XP 32bit, and Ubuntu 64bit. 7 and Ubuntu are good to go, and partition setup for XP. However, I cannot get the XP setup disk to work. The setup disk boots, loads all of the drivers, says "Setup is starting Windows", and then BSOD. The error code is 0x0000007B. I have tried:

-Google returns nothing useful about that error code
    -The appropriate SATA drivers via F6 floppy.
    -Using a different setup disk.
    -Live CD of XP via BartPE (which I have confirmed to work on another computer, same BSOD when it finishes loading too)
    -Gateway doesn't offer support for XP for this line of computers

How do I get XP to install? I need it for some old programs that don't work properly on Win 7 x64 so I can get rid of my old computer.

A weird note: It seems Gateway is using FlexNet for something- Ubuntu had to work around it while installing. Here's the details of that gem if relevant:

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Sector 32 is already in use by FlexNet; avoiding it.  This software may cause boot or other problems in future.  Please ask its authors not to store data in the boot track..
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo update-grub
    /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    System specs:
    Gateway FX6840-15e
    Intel i7 CPU
    8GB Ram
    1TB hard drive
    ATi Radeon 5750 HD
    Win 7 Home Premium x64
    Ubuntu 10.10 x64
    Trying to install XP Pro 32bit

[attachment=91170:BSOD.JPG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Some useful info on the 7B BSOD here, it may be of some help to you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Not directly connected with the BSOD, but have you considered running your XP programs in Windows 7 XP Mode?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    Not directly connected with the BSOD, but have you considered running your XP programs in Windows 7 XP Mode?
    The programs I need to run are old games and 3D CAD programs which are very system intensive and require 3D acceleration. XP mode & Virtualbox won't cut it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gateway was one of the first to stop supporting XP with chipset drivers, so I'm pretty sure you had to find them elsewhere. How sure are you that you have the correct SATA drivers for XP? I have two Gateways that aren't even that new (early Vista era) and it was a bear finding chipset drivers for those. If you are sure you have the correct ones, rather than use a floppy, I've had much better luck making a one-off XP installation disc with NLite where the SATA drivers are integrated into the install disc. Also look into driverpacks.net, which may include the drivers you need if you're not sure.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Alright. Will try that.

Also, wiped the "FlexNet" thing off sector 32. I had been suspecting that setup was detecting it as a boot virus, but I was wrong...

Thanks
    Check this post at Windows Seven Forums. It shows the steps necessary for setting up this dual boot with either XP or WIn 7 as pre-existing OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Drew, go into your BIOS setup and check if your hard disk is set for AHCI mode, which it probably is since you have a SATA disk. If it has the option to set it to Compatibility (which is IDE), then try that to see if you can get XP to install. I assume you are installing XP from a SP2 CD? If you can get XP installed and update it to SP3, you might be able to switch back to AHCI mode.

Using Compatibility (IDE) mode will cost you a small hit in performance, but it might be worth it in your situation (and may not be all that perceptible).
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gave up on trying to install XP. Thanks for your help anyway.

Custom compiled a CD with the latest full driver packs for chipsets and storage controllers and still get the BSOD. I happened to have a Vista 32 setup disk. Of course I'd rather use XP than vista, it will still work for my needs.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've gone so far as to replace my mobo with a retail one that came with XP drivers ...very serious stuff!

I'm having little function errors with the latest Corel product line (X3 versions) and Win7 that are not there with XP on the same system. Also when I render video, four cores a blazin', I get right around 50% processor utilization in Win 7. Same program, very similar project and same system running XP; about 92% processor utilization. Ahhh, they don't build'em like they use to!