New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,
    I have a hard drive that when I tried to click on it t gave me an error message :drive not formatted.... ETC: The drive has a lot of data on it. All my pictures plus other data and a few programs that I use. I ram Mini Tools Data Recovery program on it and it brought up all my stuff on the drive, The drive is a 120 gig and I should have moved everything off it before. I did move my music off it so that is okay. Now here is my question. I'm not sure what files I should copy off it The program yells me that there is 1.10 TB on it. There are 2 areas to click on in the program. Raw files & lost files. Should I buy external hard drive and copy everything to that drive and sort out what I need or by a internal and copy what the program has found and sort through it from there?

This is not my primary drive so the OS doesn't run off it. I have other partitions on my drive but they are set to 100 gig partitions with some space used on them. It would take hours sorting through it all and coping what I need to recover and what not if I pick and choose from the program. Where as if I get a new internal or external drive. I can do that at my leisure and then can install that drive to the one that is dead. The dead drive is a (FAT 32 drive and my others are NTFS drives. Does that matter when trying to recover my data. I'm guessing the programs are gone forever and I'll have to reinstall them.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Ron

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would start with an external USB disk because you can then use that for other backups as well.
    Then image the disk to the USB so you have a copy in case the recovery does not work well.
    I would attempt to recover the data to the USB disk. Ignore the programs, you will need to re-install them anyway.
    You can try both raw file and lost file recovery, then check the recovered files for accuracy.

If the recovery program is telling you there is 1TB of data on a 120GB disk, you have a very broken disk. Good luck.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Paul.,

That is what I thought too. I was going through the folders and found out why it was so large. It also had a lot of deleted files. some music that I had doubles of. Some games some pics that I dumped because I didn't get the pictures focus or they didn't turn out too great. but I was thinking along the same lines as you Getting an external and using it for a backup. The dead drive had a lot of wear and tear on it. I used it for all my data plus I used it to copy my store bought cd's to rip and burn to play in my car and keep the store ones scratch free. played games plus before that it was a primary drive in my old computer.

Least I figured out that there is a lot of files that are half written over when looking at some of the pictures so I don't need to send them to the new drive as they will be corrupt anyway.