New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is MSE all that I need to protect my computer or should I be running additional security applications.

Any advice for this novice computer user appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    I use MSE in conjunction with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. If I feel there is a problem and need another AV opinion I will go to one
    of the trusted online scanners and also supplement with another AM tool like Spybot et al.

But so far just the above two I'm using are sufficient.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I was reading about MSE 2 Paul Thourrot's Supersite for Windows and checked my version which is only 1.0.2498.0. When I was helping a friend install MSE last night on a new laptop, he asked what to do
    with this, "MSE 2 includes other important, if hard-to-find, changes. You can specify that CPU usage not exceed a certain limit (the default is 50 percent) during scheduled scans...." That didn't show in mine, so when I checked the version, I discovered this new release even though I have done the updates and run the Upgrade MSE it says I have the current version. What % is appropriate?

I also notice MSE 2 is Beta and has firewall integration. Is anyone using this and does MSE 1 need to be uninstalled or will 2 overwrite it? When
    I type appwiz.cpl in the Search bar I find MSE listed and can uninstall that way, but would use Revo since it removes all traces. I'm curious
    to know how many are using this Beta version and if you've encountered any issues.
    Take a sad song and make it better

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
    I was reading about MSE 2 Paul Thourrot's Supersite for Windows and checked my version which is only 1.0.2498.0. When I was helping a friend install MSE last night on a new laptop, he asked what to do
    with this, "MSE 2 includes other important, if hard-to-find, changes. You can specify that CPU usage not exceed a certain limit (the default is 50 percent) during scheduled scans...." That didn't show in mine, so when I checked the version, I discovered this new release even though I have done the updates and run the Upgrade MSE it says I have the current version. What % is appropriate?

I also notice MSE 2 is Beta and has firewall integration. Is anyone using this and does MSE 1 need to be uninstalled or will 2 overwrite it? When
    I type appwiz.cpl in the Search bar I find MSE listed and can uninstall that way, but would use Revo since it removes all traces. I'm curious
    to know how many are using this Beta version and if you've encountered any issues.
    MSE 2 is not beta anymore. You can download the release version here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...2-33d813687a7f

It will install over the previous version, no need to uninstall it.
    Regarding recommended CPU %, I left the default value of 50% on. I guess it really impacts your computer when you are running a scan, which I don't regularly do. If you do that, maybe try a bit, starting with 50% and see what value suits your needs. The higher the percentage, the more likely other things you may want to do while MSE is scanning will be impacted.

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    MSE 2 is not beta anymore. You can download the release version here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...2-33d813687a7f

It will install over the previous version, no need to uninstall it.
    Regarding recommended CPU %, I left the default value of 50% on. I guess it really impacts your computer when you are running a scan, which I don't regularly do. If you do that, maybe try a bit, starting with 50% and see what value suits your needs. The higher the percentage, the more likely other things you may want to do while MSE is scanning will be impacted.

Regards

Rui
    Take a sad song and make it better

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is MSE all that I need to protect my computer or should I be running additional security applications.

Any advice for this novice computer user appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I think MSE is fine, also occasionally scaning with something like MalwareBytes is fine, browser updates, hardware firewall, all fine.
    The most important thing to remember though is that none of that stuff will protect you from yourself if you're determined to get a bug. Its like driving a car. You can get the most highly rated car for safety possible, but you can still drive that car right into a tree and get hurt or killed, so the bottom line is that you still have to pay very close attention to EVERYTHING. Humans are much more susceptible to social engeneering than computers