Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Keeping track of programs and hardware and installing the latest drivers is something I've tried to keep up with, but, for example, I haven't checked out my video card manufacturer's website or scanner's website recently.

Are programs that offer to update drivers helpful or sources of malware? I haven't seen programs of this sort from the major companies. Maybe it is too small a niche.

Has anyone used DriverFinder or DriverHive? One review with screenshots showed 117 drivers found in the reviewer's system. That seems like an awful lot. Is such a result realistic?

Thanks in advance.
    Mark

Thanks
    No, I do my best to avoid any kind of applications that offer to scan for and download so called "needed drivers".
    SIW or Everest can be a decent tool in looking up current hardware driver version number and other identifying features of hardware, but that's all.
    Your best to go to the manufacturers website and get them yourself.

Many video and audio card manufacturers will offer a means of checking your hardware's drivers from their respective websites. I suggest a look see
    if it's been a while since you have last visited.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint,
    Thanks. That's what I had thought, but I didn't want to put my system at risk by avoiding possible underlying driver problems. Since I posted, I saw a thread where some driver software actually loaded extra unneeded drivers onto a user's system.

Caveat emptor!

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I agree with Clint. On another note, I do however like CNET's tech tracker software for notifying me when new updates to the software I use are available.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Or run the Secunia PSI checker to find apps with security holes.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    Tried PSI. Just what the doctor ordered!. Very elegant program!

Thanks

Mark

Thanks
    For most devices the latest drivers are a good idea, but generally from the manufacturer's site. Graphics drivers are a different matter. I have heard and seen more problems developing from "update" graphics drivers than all others combined. One adage I follow is that if you are pleased with how your graphics drivers seems to be working, then perhaps you should leave well enough alone.

One site I do use to update apps is filehippo.com. Click the link in the upper right corner to add a link to the free Update Checker. This checks apps you have installed for updates. Works very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

emiliaserv (2011-01-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Thanks for suggesting filehippo. It picked up some things PSI didn't. I'm currently using both programs.......

Mark

Thanks
    You're welcome
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My experience has been different. I have been using Driver Genius for about three years. While the older version was iffy, the last two editions have given me excellent results (version 10 is current). It even runs the installation of the driver updates. I have not had an error or problem in the last two years. It saves me a lot of time checking out the dozen or so sites I would have to do manually.

Bill Rice

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rice View Post
    My experience has been different. I have been using Driver Genius for about three years. While the older version was iffy, the last two editions have given me excellent results (version 10 is current). It even runs the installation of the driver updates. I have not had an error or problem in the last two years. It saves me a lot of time checking out the dozen or so sites I would have to do manually.

Bill Rice
    Or, if you like to get your updates for free, try DriverMax . It even lets you make a Backup Folder containing all your current drivers, in case anything goes wrong.
    -- Bob Primak --

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not a shill for Driver Genius, really.

I am not trying to shill for Drive Genius, but it also has a back up feature, as well as a restore drivers function in case the new drivers do not work properly. It will also uninstall existing drivers if you want to make a fresh install rather than an upgrade.

These have again saved me a lot of time on several occassions. I am aware that a lot of these driver update programs are shoddy and create problems. I can only speak about the one I use.

Bill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip about FileHippo that immediately showed me several programmes needing an update, shame the update didn't fix Acrobat Reader, version 9 has refused to update itself for as long as I can remember and I've now got 10 that displays an "unknown software exception" every time it's opened, although it seems to work OK after that.

Graham

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Graham,
    I have been using Foxit Reader for some time now and it works well for me. Seems to be quicker than Acrobat Reader without all the Adobe baggage. FWIW.
    Larry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bellboy View Post
    Graham,
    I have been using Foxit Reader for some time now and it works well for me. Seems to be quicker than Acrobat Reader without all the Adobe baggage. FWIW.
    Larry
    I did try it some years ago but it was incapable of some basic operations including copy and paste and I dropped it almost immediately. Actually Reader 10 seems to have one or two nice new features, regrettably every time I open a file I get this error message, although as I speak it seems to have stopped doing it, really weird as it was doing it all day until I stopped work about half an hour ago.

Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast