Thanks
    Hi Loungers, when installing programs that are new to you or just reinstalling ones you are familiar with, do you read the installation instructions ? I always do, but have never seen any info on right clicking a file, click properties to unblock, or to repeat process and 'run as administrator'.
    I have installed programs first without unblocking or running install as administrator, removing the program after a few days and reinstall using unblock etc. without noticing any difference.
    On my PC's, I'm shown as administrator but that's not entirely correct, I'm only part of admin group.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I have gotten into the habit to right click and Run as Administrator generally. I have found that as systems get more complex (meaning I have more junk) there are some apps that need top level rights to install correctly. Just being an administrator does not mean you are giving those top level rights. That's where Run as Administrator comes in. This is top level. For those installs that just do not seem to go right, this top level adds permissions that seem to make the install smoother. I can not comment on the inner workings as to why, but it just does.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The "unblock" option is only an additional protection to prevent you running downloaded apps by accident. It doesn't make any difference to the installation.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have gotten into the habit to right click and Run as Administrator generally. I have found that as systems get more complex (meaning I have more junk) there are some apps that need top level rights to install correctly. Just being an administrator does not mean you are giving those top level rights. That's where Run as Administrator comes in. This is top level. For those installs that just do not seem to go right, this top level adds permissions that seem to make the install smoother. I can not comment on the inner workings as to why, but it just does.
    Ted, you missed the point of my badly worded post, I have never seen any right click mention in any programs install instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    The "unblock" option is only an additional protection to prevent you running downloaded apps by accident. It doesn't make any difference to the installation.
    cheers, Paul
    Programs can be installed without 'unblocking' first.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!