Thread: Dump files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running 64-bit Ultimate and have been getting hard crashes while running Civ5. (And I am aware there is a dedicated forum for that community, but it is too chaotic.)
    The whole system just stops running. There is a dedicated folder for dumps related to the Steam platform, and the one that is in the Windows folders where I look after the events to try and find out what happened. I am using the Nirsoft "Blue Screen View" utility to assist me.
    There are no dump files. There are no blue screens. The system just crashes hard and fast and I get the typical restart options and a frequent run of Chkdisk to clean up the mess.

I've updated my drivers and haven deleted the Asus utilities that I suspected of causing conflicts since they are not optimized for 64-bit.

Is there anywhere else to look for evidence?
    Thanks!
    Pete

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You will need to configure your system to generate minidump files. Go to Control Panel -> System (or Control Panel -> System and Security -> System), choose Advanced System Settings, then Advanced tab, then click Settings button down in the Startup and Recovery Area. You will get a screen similar to this:

[attachment=91192:Capturedump1.JPG]

In the area shown inside the black rectangle, choose Small memory dump.

That should allow Blue Screen View to point the culprit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hi Peter,

Did you upgrade your computer to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit from Vista or XP? Or is it a new PC that came with WIn7 Ultimate 64 installed?

Does your PC have a built in video subsystem on you motherboard, or are you using a discrete PCIE video card?

Do you have the latest Windows 7 64 bit driver installed for your video system?

If you recently updated your video card drivers, did Civ5 exhibit the same lockups before you updated your video driver? If not, roll the video drivers back to an earlier version.

Has anything been changed on your computer before the lockups started?

Is your PC a desktop or a laptop?

Does your computer meet or exceed the required specs to run Civ5? The minimum system specs are usually not enough to run a game without some issues.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    You will need to configure your system to generate minidump files. Go to Control Panel -> System (or Control Panel -> System and Security -> System), choose Advanced System Settings, then Advanced tab, then click Settings button down in the Startup and Recovery Area. You will get a screen similar to this:

[attachment=91192:Capturedump1.JPG]

In the area shown inside the black rectangle, choose Small memory dump.

That should allow Blue Screen View to point the culprit.
    Hi Rui;
    I already have my system configured as you have instructed.
    Pete

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Answers below each question Gerald:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Peter,

Did you upgrade your computer to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit from Vista or XP? Or is it a new PC that came with WIn7 Ultimate 64 installed?
    Fresh install - I build my own computers.

Does your PC have a built in video subsystem on you motherboard, or are you using a discrete PCIE video card?
    Discrete PCIE ATI Radeon 4830 512meg

Do you have the latest Windows 7 64 bit driver installed for your video system?
    Am using the Catalyst control center to stay up to date with drivers. .

If you recently updated your video card drivers, did Civ5 exhibit the same lockups before you updated your video driver? If not, roll the video drivers back to an earlier version.
    Tried rolling them back to as long as 18 months ago with no difference

Has anything been changed on your computer before the lockups started?
    Nope - it's been running great since day 1

Is your PC a desktop or a laptop?
    Desktop

Does your computer meet or exceed the required specs to run Civ5? The minimum system specs are usually not enough to run a game without some issues.
    It's a high-end system - Asus Socket AM3 - 4 gigs DDR3/1600, Phenom X3 435 with 4th core unlocked, DX11 PCIE video.
    Pete

Administrator
    Thanks
    Peter,

It's weird. Given that you don't even have a BSOD, I would suspect a hardware problem, probably with the graphics card. Maybe someone else has another idea, but you don't have another video card that you could use to see if the problem persists with a different card?

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Flynn View Post
    I am running 64-bit Ultimate and have been getting hard crashes while running Civ5. (And I am aware there is a dedicated forum for that community, but it is too chaotic.)
    The whole system just stops running. There is a dedicated folder for dumps related to the Steam platform, and the one that is in the Windows folders where I look after the events to try and find out what happened. I am using the Nirsoft "Blue Screen View" utility to assist me.
    There are no dump files. There are no blue screens. The system just crashes hard and fast and I get the typical restart options and a frequent run of Chkdisk to clean up the mess.

I've updated my drivers and haven deleted the Asus utilities that I suspected of causing conflicts since they are not optimized for 64-bit.

Is there anywhere else to look for evidence?
    Thanks!
    Pete
    If you set your pagefile too low or to none at all, you may not get a proper dump or any at all.
    ensure at least a minimum recommended PF is set.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Do you play any other games on your desktop? If you do play other games, Is Civ5 the only game that gives you this trouble?

You have probably already done so, but I will ask. Have you confirmed the fan on the video card is running, and all cabling situated for maximum air flow in the case?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter,

It's weird. Given that you don't even have a BSOD, I would suspect a hardware problem, probably with the graphics card. Maybe someone else has another idea, but you don't have another video card that you could use to see if the problem persists with a different card?

Regards

Rui

Hi Rui;
    I bought a "refurb" 8800GSC card thinking that switching over to nVidia would help isolate the issue and still had the same problem. (Ironically, that card now seems to have burned-out in my backup machine! If it hadn't been a refurb product I'd tend to validate the claim that Civ5 destroys video cards.)

I'm thinking of swapping-out the power supply. I'm running an Antec 550 and have been considering upgrading anyhow just to have some "headroom".
    Pete

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Do you play any other games on your desktop? If you do play other games, Is Civ5 the only game that gives you this trouble?

You have probably already done so, but I will ask. Have you confirmed the fan on the video card is running, and all cabling situated for maximum air flow in the case?
    I will do that Gerald. I'm using a big Antec case with lots of airflow, everything is SATA and cabling is tied away, but I will pull the side panel and make sure that fan is spinning. I've whacked the Asus utility that provides that information suspecting it of being a problem.
    Good thinking.
    Pete

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Flynn View Post
    Hi Rui;
    I bought a "refurb" 8800GSC card thinking that switching over to nVidia would help isolate the issue and still had the same problem. (Ironically, that card now seems to have burned-out in my backup machine! If it hadn't been a refurb product I'd tend to validate the claim that Civ5 destroys video cards.)

I'm thinking of swapping-out the power supply. I'm running an Antec 550 and have been considering upgrading anyhow just to have some "headroom".
    Pete
    Hi Peter,

Have you tried running the game in DX9 mode?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Peter,

Have you tried running the game in DX9 mode?
    I'll give it a try Rui. In the meantime I've been reading posts elsewhere related to power supply issues. I did a calculation of how many watts I consume, and despite being under the rating for my PS, I think i could be beyond it's capability under heavy load. Civ5 is spectacular visually and a real resource hog. I'm probably going to get a 750w PS.
    Pete