New Lounger
    Thanks
    Happy New Year.

My wife has an HP laptop with a Vista operating system. When she types a word document or makes a facebook entry, the cursor jumps forward or backword. This makes it nearly impossible to get anything done. I would appreciate any suggestions about how to solve this problem.

Thanks,
    Jerry King

Administrator
    Thanks
    Some touchpads on laptops are very sensitive. Make sure that your wife is not brushing the touchpad while typing.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,070 Posts
    A common solution is just to disable the touchpad while typing. Some laptops allow that to be done simply through the function keys, others seem to require BIOS configuration changes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the OP may be referring to the flashing cursor in the document, not the mouse cursor. This is a common problem, and the solution is the same as Rui Ribeiro suggests for the touch pad. Look at all the keys. Some of the letters most likely have blue print on them in addition to the white characters. I'm thinking there is a set of them on the right side of the key board that act as a Num Pad with arrow keys. Many laptops for some reason I have not yet been able to discern, have these Fn keys on by default so that Fn does not have to be pressed to activate them as a Num Pad. You can sometimes disable them by a pressing Fn and a corresponding "F" key. Sometimes you have to change the start up behavior in the BIOS.
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck De La Rosa View Post
    I think the OP may be referring to the flashing cursor in the document, not the mouse cursor. This is a common problem, and the solution is the same as Rui Ribeiro suggests for the touch pad. Look at all the keys. Some of the letters most likely have blue print on them in addition to the white characters. I'm thinking there is a set of them on the right side of the key board that act as a Num Pad with arrow keys. Many laptops for some reason I have not yet been able to discern, have these Fn keys on by default so that Fn does not have to be pressed to activate them as a Num Pad. You can sometimes disable them by a pressing Fn and a corresponding "F" key. Sometimes you have to change the start up behavior in the BIOS.
    I supposed he was talking about the cursor in the document (and I think JoeP was too). I experience this myself. If you have the touchpad configured to have a tap to be the same as clicking a button, touching inadvertently on pad while typing will move the cursor on the document, moving the insertion point and thus creating the situation described by the OP.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I used to have a problem like this, and it was nothing to do with the Touchpad. It would happen using an external keyboard. I could see the cursor moving around in the document as I typed, and my typing would end up in the wrong place.

I think the problem was caused by an infection of some sort. I would suggest a thorough scan of the computer.
    Regards
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We had this problem a while back on my wife's PC and it turned out to be the setting on sizes on the display, something about icon size or text size. Something wierd, especially when she was shopping. The cursor went nuts.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar "jumping cursor" problem with my Vaio laptop. It drove me crazy when word processing. On-line advice said there often was a conflict between touchpad and logitech mouse. Solution was to disable touchpad. No problem since. It recurred when touchpad was temporarily re-activated.