Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montana,USA
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've had it for quite some time & used it once to uninstall something but when it got to the last part where it listed the things in registry & asked "are you sure?" about deleteing them, I backed out because I don't understand the registry, it scares the "bejebies" (sp?) out of me. (So actually I think I ended up with a partial uninstall, didn't know what to do,& now can't even remember what it was.) I also have a baad case of CRS . Anyway .... my question is ... for a dummy like me, is it safe to assume that Revo knows best? For example, just for S&G's I did a search of my machine for CCleaner & ended up with a list of 48 objects, some of which I was aware of but there were quite a few listed in blue letters rather than the normal black, that have me befuddled.

    Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on so much.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,462
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 216 Times in 183 Posts
    Hi Suz, I only use Revo in moderate mode. First it creates a restore point, 2, runs programs own uninstaller or other, 3, when thats done it asks to reboot, say NO, 4, click next and select only items in BOLD print. when finished reboot. I then run CCleaners Registry cleaner then the cleaner tab and reboot again.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

  3. #3
    Star Lounger johjue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago,Illinois
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    I've had it for quite some time & used it once to uninstall something but when it got to the last part where it listed the things in registry & asked "are you sure?" about deleteing them, I backed out because I don't understand the registry, it scares the "bejebies" (sp?) out of me. (So actually I think I ended up with a partial uninstall, didn't know what to do,& now can't even remember what it was.) I also have a baad case of CRS . Anyway .... my question is ... for a dummy like me, is it safe to assume that Revo knows best
    Hi, Suz,

    Dummy? Being cautious about something that you don't understand or are unsure of sounds pretty smart to me.

    Here you can get the RevoUninstaller Pro version user's manual. It may also be helpful if you are using the free version.

    John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

  4. #4
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montana,USA
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys, I've copied Roderunner's instructions & downloaded the manual as per John, haven't read it yet but will after I snoop around here a bit.

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montana,USA
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Suz, I only use Revo in moderate mode. First it creates a restore point, 2, runs programs own uninstaller or other, 3, when thats done it asks to reboot, say NO, 4, click next and select only items in BOLD print. when finished reboot. I then run CCleaners Registry cleaner then the cleaner tab and reboot again.
    Hi Roderunner, was re-reading your reply & besides the fact that as I stated in my original about being spooked by "registry cleaning", I don't quite understand what you mean by "then run CC's Registry cleaner then the cleaner tab.

    Thanks again.

  6. #6
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montana,USA
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Guess I'd better learn how to post too! I thought I was underlining "then the cleaner tab.", sorry.

  7. #7
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Calif
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Hi Suz :

    I recommend AGAINST running any "registry cleaner", including
    CCleaner's "Registry Cleaner" . For what some security-oriented
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals think about "Registry
    Cleaners", read through the Thread at
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 .

    The majority view of top security Experts is for those having
    Operating Systems of Vista or later, registry "cleaning" can
    potential cause more harm than the minimum performance
    "improvement" .

    Edit : One of the top Experts in this field is Mark Russinovich and he
    is quoted in the Aumha.net thread as saying :
    "Even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches (ed. of the registry itself).

    On Win2K Terminal Server systems, however, there is a limit on the total amount of Registry data that can be loaded and so large profile hives can limit the number of users that can be logged on simultaneously.

    I haven't and never will implement a Registry cleaner since it's of little practical use on anything other than Win2K terminal servers and developing one that's both safe and effective requires a huge amount of application-specific knowledge. "
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

    http://www.ctftoronto.com

  8. #8
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,462
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 216 Times in 183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Hi Roderunner, was re-reading your reply & besides the fact that as I stated in my original about being spooked by "registry cleaning", I don't quite understand what you mean by "then run CC's Registry cleaner then the cleaner tab.

    Thanks again.
    [attachment=91226:Capture.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

  9. #9
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    I use Revo Uninstaller Pro in advanced or highest cleaning level, with never a glitch. Revo does a great job of picking out the leftovers. I also use CCleaner, again with nary a glitch. I use the Cleaner tab and the Registry tab. Have never had a single problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  10. #10
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montana,USA
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Please clarify for me ......... once I click the uninstall button on an app. , do I leave it all up to Revo OR do I have to do the Alt-Tab to bring the built-in uninstaller from behind the Revo window & run that uninstall first, then let Revo continue?

    Thank you.

  11. #11
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Blackpool, Lancashire, England
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Revo runs it for you. Just wait for the "next" button to become active, then check the results screen in case you need to do something (delete items etc) before pressing it.
    Windows XP SP3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •