iNET Interactive
    Thanks

PATCH WATCH

More unpatched vulnerabilities than patched ones

By Susan Bradley

2011 is not getting off to a good start for Windows vulnerabilities — we're starting the new year with more unpatched known vulnerabilities than ones we're able to fix through updates.

Most of you will see just one official Patch Tuesday security update. But there are workarounds and mitigations you might need to consider.

The full text of this column is posted atWindowsSecrets.com/2011/01/13/07(opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice update Susan. I read with interest your last piece about a Win 7 reliability update not working properly.

I am going off topic but it reminds me of my experience of Win 7 32-bit since March 2010 which has been nothing but troublesome, and on a brand new factory installed Dell Vostro 1220 laptop. It is the most unreliable OS since Win 95 in my experience and pretty sluggish performance despite having a reasonable Windows Performance Index rating. Perhaps there are issues with the Dell and its drivers rather than the OS, I do not know, but I don't have more time or patience to find out and its going back to Dell before the warranty expires.

The list of issues is too long for me to list at the moment but suffice it to say that I am now permanently working on my old "backup" laptop which has a much more stable XP3 installed as well as an easy to navigate Office 2003 as opposed to the user-unfriendly Office 2010.

I just hope that other people are having better experiences with Win 7 and that MS invest more in their flagship. An OS should simply work with 100% reliability, and with some form of self-healing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan,

Thanks for all you do keeping us updated on Microsoft Updates ... they have been invaluable to me.

There was an update that came out Jan 11, 2011 (1-11-11) KB976902. What caught my attention was in the description it indicated that this update could not be uninstalled. So I did not install it. Also, in the description its says that this is needed to install future updates. I went to Microsoft's security web site and search for this update and got some really interesting finds. I'm still not convinced I should install this. What are your thoughts on this ... would love to know!

Thanks again!

Dennis

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same question - but also interesting is that while the update is listed as "important" it is not checked. What to do?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Zito View Post
    Hi Susan,

Thanks for all you do keeping us updated on Microsoft Updates ... they have been invaluable to me.

There was an update that came out Jan 11, 2011 (1-11-11) KB976902. What caught my attention was in the description it indicated that this update could not be uninstalled. So I did not install it. Also, in the description its says that this is needed to install future updates. I went to Microsoft's security web site and search for this update and got some really interesting finds. I'm still not convinced I should install this. What are your thoughts on this ... would love to know!

Thanks again!

Dennis

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Susan,

I totally rely on your Patch column, but this time, I'm very confused because I didn't receive ANY of the patches you discussed. I use Windows 7 Pro x64, have IE for both x32 and x64, no Office programs.

The only patches I got were KB2419640 and KB976902. I have the same question about the latter one, but am also wondering should I be concerned I didn't get any others?????

Thanks,

Liz

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the first time I actually waited for your column before installing Windows Update patches but you didn't mention the one patch I was offered. Others have mentioned this one but I have pasted the full information below. It's weird because it says that it's an update for updates. I have only checked for updates on my Windows 7 64-bit Office 2010 Professional system. I also have them same as 32-bit and a Vista Home Office 2007 Ultimate on which I will take your advice about not installing the Outlook update.

Thank you,

Norman Castel

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976902)

Download size: 10.2 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

Install this update to enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. This update may be required before selected future updates can be installed. After you install this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976902

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding 967902 -- It's to get you ready for Win7 sp1. You will need it sooner or later.

You don't have to install it now, and certainly not before a backup, but this is one we'll all have to get installed to ensure we have a good Win7 sp1 experience. I am planning to write on it next time since it wasn't being 'pushed' this month yet.

I'm not sure why you aren't getting any of the updates I wrote on. You should be getting at least one of the security updates.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave Homme View Post
    Nice update Susan. I read with interest your last piece about a Win 7 reliability update not working properly.

I am going off topic but it reminds me of my experience of Win 7 32-bit since March 2010 which has been nothing but troublesome, and on a brand new factory installed Dell Vostro 1220 laptop. It is the most unreliable OS since Win 95 in my experience and pretty sluggish performance despite having a reasonable Windows Performance Index rating. Perhaps there are issues with the Dell and its drivers rather than the OS, I do not know, but I don't have more time or patience to find out and its going back to Dell before the warranty expires.

The list of issues is too long for me to list at the moment but suffice it to say that I am now permanently working on my old "backup" laptop which has a much more stable XP3 installed as well as an easy to navigate Office 2003 as opposed to the user-unfriendly Office 2010.

I just hope that other people are having better experiences with Win 7 and that MS invest more in their flagship. An OS should simply work with 100% reliability, and with some form of self-healing.
    Have you ripped out all the Dell OEM crud on that system? In my not so humble opinion the operating system is fine. It's all of the crud that the OEMs ship with their computer systems that screw up a working system. We too often blame Microsoft, but it's so often what the OEM vendors do. If you had a full version of the OS I'd recommend that you reinstall from scratch but knowing Dell/OEM's you probably don't.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Susan.

I guess I have a mystery here.

Liz

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    KB 2454826 has been pulled from Microsoft update pending investigation. So far it's pointing to people with older versions of Symantec and Online Armor Free firewall from a removed install.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Possible Issue with IE8 roll-up patch

Susan, Your column is invaluable and I read it carefully each issue. I hadn't noticed earlier but I discovered that IE8 will no longer display the Information Bar needed to allow ActiveX content to run on my computer. I suspect that one of the February updates, particularly the IE8 Rollup is responsible. Have any other readers reposted this issue? Does anyone know how to fix the problem without doing a full reset of IE8?
    Last edited by miroth; 2011-02-17 at 10:46.