4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Toshiba Portege M200 tablet computer, running Windows XP, that no longer communicates with the Internet. I'm trying to figure out why.

I didn't make any software or hardware changes around the time that the problem appeared, so there's nothing specific that I can reverse, or concentrate my efforts on.

My troubleshooting has been hampered by the fact that the M200 does not have the standard Windows Network Connections control panel applet; thus I can't see how TCP/IP is configured (or at least I can't figure out how to see that). Instead it has its own proprietary application, which works differently and seems to give less detail. I can't get all of the information I'd normally get, and I'm not always sure what of the meaning of what I do get.

The proprietary program shows a diagram of the network hardware and interconnections that appears to indicate that the Ethernet port is connected and working properly. It shows an IP address for the Ethernet adapter; I can ping that address.

In the Hardware Manager, the properties box for the Ethernet port says that "the device is working properly."

Thre's a green LED and a yellow one next to the Ethernet connector. When I disable the connector the green LED blinks, then goes dark. When I enable it with the Ethernet connector unattached, neither light is active; with the connector attached to my broadband modem, the green light goes on and the yellow light flashes irregularly for about 30 seconds. That suggests to me that there is traffic going to the modem, but I don't know how to confirm that, or how to interpret it.

Through all of this, all of my web applications (browser, email reader, etc) assure me that there's nothing, nothing at all out there. Ping can't reach anything except the local IP address or localhost. Yet the same connection works perfectly when the cable is attached to my desktop system.

I have tried turning off the firewall and the anti-virus program, without effect.

Any ideas what has gone wrong, or how to figure it out?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of things to try/compare on both the M200 tablet and the desktop.....
    1) Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig
    2) Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings button (Any Proxy Server Settings?)
    3) Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig/all
    4) Have any MS updates been applied around the time the problem started?
    5) Is there a Restore point available?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    > 1) Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig

Hmm, interesting. On the desktop the Ethernet connection lists a meaningful IP address and default gateway and the subnet mask is FFFFFF00. On the laptop it has an IP address that also makes sense, but isn't the same; a subnet mask of FFFFFF00; another IP address which looks like nonsense; and the default gateway is empty. Then it lists several more sets of values under names like "Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface," all with nonsensical IP addresses.

In each case the nonsensical IP address is a value like "fe80:ffff:ffff:fffd%5", with a null default gateway address and no subnet mask (the heading isn't even listed).

> 2) Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings button (Any Proxy Server Settings?)

Desktop: all check boxes are cleared. The "Address" fields are empty. "Port" is 80.
    Laptop: the same, except that "Port" is empty.

> 3) Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig/all

"Windows IP Configuration" is similar on both: host name correct, primary DNS suffix null, node type = Broadcast, IP Routine Enabled = No, WINS Proxy Enabled = No.

Ethernet adapter connection shows the same values as (1) above, plus the following.

Desktop: DHCP server & DNS servers: same as default gateway. Lease obtained: a time stamp a few minutes in the past. Last expires: lease obtained + 24 hours.

Laptop: DHCP server: not present. DNS servers: three nonsense values like "fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 (the last part is 2%1 for the second entry and 3%1 for the third). Lease obtained/expires: not present.

Then there are the mysterious "Tunnel Adapter" listings again.

> 4) Have any MS updates been applied around the time the problem started?

None. Probably none for months and months before.

> 5) Is there a Restore point available?

Two or three every month for several months back.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    IP addresses in the form "fe80:ffff:ffff:fffd%5" are IPv6. Your ISP is likely to use IPv4 to talk to you, e.g. "192.168.0.2".
    A subnet mask of "FFFFFF00" sounds like IPv4 in hex. The decimal equivalent is "255.255.255.0".

If you have IPv6 I would turn it off and use IPv4 only.

cheers, Paul