Thanks
    I have recently installed Windows XP Professional SP1 on a second hard drive in my computer. I updated to Windows SP2 and SP3, and I downloaded and installed Threatfire, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, and Avast! Antivirus. I had them all run and check the entire hard drive for malware, and fortunately none was found. This would make sense, as the hard drive had been wiped with a 3 pass cycle and reformatted, so I didn't expect anything to survive on it. I also downloaded all the most recent updates from Windows Automatic Update. I ran Chkdsk just to make sure there were no errors on the hard drive, and the test came back clean.

With all of this accomplished, imagine my surprise when, in an attempt to install a legacy game - "Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego" from Broderbund - I was met with the most infamous, heavily feared and often abhorred BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! The error message read as follows: Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area. STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFFE, 0x000000, 0xACCBF1FC) aswSP.SYS - ACCBF1FC base at ACCB7000 Datestamp 4d1e3650.

I did some research and the Page Fault error suggests that I have bad memory. Well, I ran two separate memory tests, Memtest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, and both indicated that my RAM was fine. However, I have also read that aswSP.SYS could be some sort of error caused by Avast! and I wasn't sure if this were true or not. I hesitate to turn off my antivirus for the sake of the test, and I was wondering if it were Avast! or something else altogether. I am at a loss for what the nature of the problem could be. My only other guess is that the game is so old, it just simply isn't compatible with XP. The disc states that the game is only compatible for Windows 95, 98, and ME.

Finally, I also know that it is not the disc itself, as I have two other similar games with the same requirements: "Carmen Sandiego's Great Chase Through Time," and "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego." Could it be that these games were not meant to be played on XP? If so, why the blue screen of death? Is there some sort of emulation software I would have to get in order to play these games properly? Any advice would be most appreciated!
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That file is indeed from Avast, as a google search can indicate. So it seems to me that it is the anti-virus that is causing the BSOD. Try to disable it and see how it goes.
    If you have a paid version, I would suggest contact Avast's support, too.

Regards

Rui

P.S.: Seems Avast runs a support forum of their own. Maybe you can get more knowledgeable guidance there, maybe even get a way to have them looking at your dump files.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion Rui: I disabled Avast! but no luck; I still get the BSOD. It must be some sort of conflict between these games and Windows, as I don't ever get the BSOD at any other time while using XP.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Henry,

Games are, indeed, one of the most "demanding" types of apps you can run on a computer. You can try Nirsoft's BlueScreenView, after a BSOD, to see if it provides any further info that can be of use to you.

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    While I didn't use BlueScreenView, I finally found the solution to the problem! I have a newer Carmen game, and the installation wizard worked in XP. During the installation, the wizard didn't detect the old Quicktime (16 or 32 bit I think) on my computer. Naturally, this was because I only had the recent version of Quicktime installed. Since this older version was required to run, I allowed the installation wizard to install it on my computer. After I finished, I decided to check the older games to see if this was a missing component - and they worked! It appears that, while the older games required Quicktime to run, the installer assumes it would already be installed on the computer, and thus it would crash when it found the program missing. I was just surprised it would crash the entire computer, and not just the games, but stranger things have happened.