Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a several-year-old (just pre-Win7 release; came with Vista and upgrade certificate) eMachine desktop. Today I allowed Microsoft Update to install an "important" driver to my nVidia GPU. Now I have no display. I tried using a recovery CD, but either that didn't help or the CD isn't before the hard drive in the boot-from sequence.

Since I can't see anything, I don't know how to revert to the last restore point. Can this be done with the keyboard?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I really don't want to restore a disk image from several weeks ago.

Thanks,

Will

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can try and reboot in safe mode (press F8 after rebooting) and you should be able to use System Restore to go back to a point previous to this install.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Starting in Safe Mode (if I did - I couldn't tell) didn't work. Even in Safe Mode, you have to use the GPU.

Administrator
    Thanks
    In safe mode, Windows usually uses a generic driver for the video adapter, instead of the one you have installed.

I am not sure I understood whether you started Windows in safe mode or not. What happened exactly when you pressed F8 after the boot?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Will, you can also access the Windows Recovery Environment by pressing F8 before Windows boots. From the WRE you can use System Restore to go back to the point before the Windows Nvidia update. The WRE runs before you enter Windows 7, so your faulty Nvidia driver should not be a problem.

When you can reverse the update via System Restore, if Windows Update attempts to install the Nvidia update again, right click the update and select Hide so it will not install or be offered again. Only update your video via the manufacturers web site. MS video updates are best left alone.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. When I booted the computer while holding the F8 key down, not much seemed to happen. That is, I didn't hear a lot of drive activity the way I do in a normal boot. I saw nothing on the display. Should I hold the F8 key down as soon as I power up the PC, or wait a bit?

Thanks
    As soon as you power up, repetitively tap the F8 key until the menu shows on your display. It is something you have to get a feel for. Holding down the key will not help.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Do you get an initial BIOS display with a summary of your hadware configuration or a vendor splash screen? Start tapping the F8 key as soon as you see this. Once windows starts a normal boot, its too late. If you do get into safe mode, You can go to device manager, right click on your display card, select properties, go to the driver tab and click on roll back driver to get the previous driver.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Jerry - The screen is blank . . .

I'll try tapping.

Thanks
    Was the screen always blank on boot before you had the GPU problem? If not, it sounds like a video card, monitor, or monitor cable hardware problem.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The PC is working now. I failed to get into safe mode (although I got the safe mode menu once - Windows just started normally). The splash screen only shows F2 and F10 now. I don't know where F8 went.

I deleted what I thought was the offending update, and it reinstalled it every time. Where is the "hide" option?

Thanks for all the help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Doak View Post
    The PC is working now. I failed to get into safe mode (although I got the safe mode menu once - Windows just started normally). The splash screen only shows F2 and F10 now. I don't know where F8 went.

I deleted what I thought was the offending update, and it reinstalled it every time. Where is the "hide" option?

Thanks for all the help.
    With the mouse, click your right button over the update and choose Hide from the menu that will show up.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald, hello.

Thanks for the reminder on F8, I had totally forgotten this option, darn ! I hope that the poor soul eventually finds that option. It is great.

Be good ....................Jean.