Lounger
    Thanks
    We have a very old and weak Vista laptop with MSE 1.0.

I've turned off Win Updates because Vista SP1 won't install on this laptop (that's a whole separate story!).

I've heard that newer versions of MSE automatically download Win Updates, and that there's no way for the user to prevent that. Because this laptop is so slow (it was designed for XP), downloading Vista SP1 takes literally 6-7 hours and prevents me from doing anything else. I had to turn of Win Update because Vista insisted on repeatedly downloading SP1 and other updates, or if I turned off Auto Updates, on repeatedly warning me (yes, I'm well aware of the risks, but I'm on a very secure network).

My question: in the new MSE 2.0, is there a way I can prevent Win Updates from being downloaded?

Thanks for any advice!

Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanB1 View Post
    My question: in the new MSE 2.0, is there a way I can prevent Win Updates from being downloaded?

Thanks for any advice!

Alan
    You want to run MSE without updating its signatures? Running an AV without up to date signatures can mean that many new threats will go undected, thus defeating the purpose of an AV in the first place.
    If updating is a problem I would suggest that you use another AV.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanB1 View Post
    We have a very old and weak Vista laptop with MSE 1.0.

I've turned off Win Updates because Vista SP1 won't install on this laptop (that's a whole separate story!).

I've heard that newer versions of MSE automatically download Win Updates, and that there's no way for the user to prevent that. Because this laptop is so slow (it was designed for XP), downloading Vista SP1 takes literally 6-7 hours and prevents me from doing anything else. I had to turn of Win Update because Vista insisted on repeatedly downloading SP1 and other updates, or if I turned off Auto Updates, on repeatedly warning me (yes, I'm well aware of the risks, but I'm on a very secure network).

Thanks for any advice!

Alan

MSE will not download any thing other than it's AV/AM definitions.
    Windows update can be configured to ignore that which you do not want, or at the very least not download anything you do not specifically choose to.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    MSE will not download any thing other than it's AV/AM definitions.
    Windows update can be configured to ignore that which you do not want, or at the very least not download anything you do not specifically choose to.
    Thanks!

(I'd read somewhere that the newer versions of MSE also download WINDOWS Updates, not just updates to AV/AM defs. Thanks for clearing this up!)

Alan