2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows 7 Pro 64bit computer. My mother board is the ASRock P43DE3 board with 6G of memory. After installing my video card (ATI Diamond Radeon 5770 Pcei) I began having a distorted sound while playing music or games which also caused my Logitech wireless mouse to freeze. The distortion lasts about 1-2 seconds, no more than 3. When I shut the computer off, there are popping sounds that come from the speakers for about 2-4 seconds.

1. I have upgraded the drivers but I still had the problem.
    2. I uninstalled the program Catalyst etc., and reinstalled. The problem persist.
    3. I backed up everything and reformatted the drive and reinstalled Windows and the ATI programs with the updated drivers and Catalyst. The problem continues.
    4. I traded my ATI card for a NVidia one and uninstalled the ATI files with Revo Uninstaller Pro. No help.
    5. I used CCleaner to clean out the registry. No help.
    6. I have manually gone into Windows and deleted every file I can find that is ATI. No help.
    7. I went into the registry, found about 45-50 files that were ATI and deleted them. No help.
    8. I keep finding files and keep deleting them but the problem persists.
    9. I thought it might be a problem with the motherboard, so the Tech that built it ordered a new one that was identical to it and installed it. That didn't help.
    10. The Tech feels that I need to back up everything I want to keep, reformat and start all over again with the NVidia board.

I was wondering, before I went that route if anyone had any suggestions that I haven't tried to see if the problem can be solved without starting brand new? That is a long drawn out solution of about 12 hours to get everything back on and being without a computer for about 3-6 hours due to the upgrading of Windows, rebooting and the rest.

Ray

Thanks
    If this started only after installing your "ATI Diamond Radeon 5770 Pcei", you could follow Fred Langa's article on
    Forcefully rooting out a bad hardware driver
    Otherwise I think the techs advice is sound. It looks like you've tried just about everything else.

Some other considerations:
    Exchange X16 slots for the videocard if you are able.
    Get a PCIe sound card if you don't have one.
    Questions:
    Was there an actual defect in the original motherboard?
    Is the BIOS updated to the latest?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    You could try the free ATI Uninsatll tool ( http://www.crystalidea.com/ati-uninstall-tool ) or the $9.99 Driver Cleaner ( http://www.drivercleaner.net/ ). I have used driver cleaner in the past when it was freeware and found it very effective in removing all traces of the ati drivers. It works with both ati and nvidia boards.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are three 'routes' that the sound may be processed and presented by your computer once the new graphics card was installed. Processed by the motherboard's integrated HD audio chip and presented at the jack sockets, sent as a digital optical stream to the S/P-dif socket or as a digital stream processed by the graphics card and sent over the HDMI cable.

I'm guessing that the installation of the drivers for the 5770 has made a right royal screw up. After installing the graphics card and drivers, did you go to the Control Panel, Sound applet and make sure that the correct output was selected as the default and that its properties were correct?

From your description, the advice to reinstall may be the best solution.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks fellows. I downloaded the Uninstall Tool and it found about 15 more ATI files which I deleted along with others the scan found. I have rebooted and am going through several tests to see if what I have done is successful. I'll let you know if it has, or whether or not I need to backup all my important files, wipe everything clean, and start over again.

BTW, the first board proved to be OK. The BIOS was updated. So, now it is just a matter of eliminating all I can before I do a reformat.

Ray