New Lounger
    Thanks

MSE 2.0 versus MSE 1.0

Based upon Fred's reviews and recommendations on MSE, I've been migrating our gear away from ZoneAlarm and to MSE. We've been having serious performance issues with ZA for a number of versions now, which drove the desire for something different. I've been extremely happy with how little MSE interferes with day-to-day ops of the hardware we've migrated so far. Some users are so happy with laptop performance after the switch we're actually able to delay upgrade cycles.

I think you know where this is headed, what is the overhead penalty/advantage for the upgrade? Does it use less or more RAM? Does it hit the disk more or less? Scan time or update time is not that big an issue. It's how it behaves in the background that is the big issue for us.

TIA,
    David

Thanks
    David, First welcome to the Lounge.

I can't give you exact sspecifics at this time, but I see absolutely no change with version 2 over version 1 as far as performance hits on our 3 PC's (2 laptops, 1 desktop). Go ahead and make the switch.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Like Ted, I also see no visible difference in behavior with MSE 2.0, both on memory or CPU use, when compared with version 1.x
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    To attempt to further examine this, I do not have the info for version 1, but in version 2 MSE loads in just over 5Mb of memory, and when sitting in the background, without any other apps running beyond idle (remember I only load 4 apps at startup, MSE being one of them) My CPU is running less than 1 % and generally shows 0% CPU Usage in Task Manager Performance tab. I have to believe this is similar to what Version 1 was. MSE has always been know for low resource usage while performing very well in AV/AM protection. Yes, it does not have the full feature set of some of the heavy duty 3rd party apps, but then I do not need these features. MSE combined with the built in Windows 7 firewall, and safe practices have kept my PC's free of all viruses and spyware.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing the info. I've done the same procedures to one Gateway laptop as I did with the first. The only difference is I installed 2.0 on the second rig. When the other one gets back to the office, I'll put both on my desk with some measuring tools and see if there is anything different.

FWIW, here is what I did to the second one:

Uninstall ZoneAlarm
    Reduce desktop icons
    Install MSE 2.0
    Run CC Cleaner on files and registry
    Used PageDefrag to defrag the registry

Doing this gained almost a minute on my personal Power-on-to-operating-Google-search-in-Firefox startup speed test.

I'm redoing the backup now (Comodo) and then I'll do a deep defrag. I'll probably gain a a few more seconds.

Thanks
    Keeping my PC "Lean and Mean" keeps my speeds, both Boot and Operational, at their optimum. I clean out temp fluff regularly and do use CCleaner regularly. I do not allow all the apps I install to run in the background (I have 4 apps that start with Windows. My sister recently wrote asking for help for slow startup and shutdown issues with unknown apps not shutting down properly. She had 29 apps starting with Windows. No wonder she was having trouble.) I do keep Windows and all my apps up to date with updates and upgrades. I do use apps that look for updated versions of installed apps, but do not allow them to run in real time, just when I call upon them. My PC is nicely fast and seems very well protected. I believe this is a proactive way to keep ahead to more enjoy my computing experience. I make up to date Images in case I screw something up (This happens more often than I care to admit to) MSE is a big part of my overall scheme.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted