2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FF auto-refresh is STILL irritating

I read the news on Google News, and it refreshes, and jumps back to the top of the page, before I'm ready for it, and pi**es me off each time. Anyone know how to stop it from refreshing the page automatically?

correction: "irritating"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Auto refresh is set by the web page in the page header. You can probably get an FF plug-in that prevents auto refresh.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wayne,
    Can you list any Add-ons that you have installed in Firefox?
    I'm on Google News and mine doesn't refresh at all.
    https://www.google.com/news

NoScript might help, but I have all the scripts active on that page, and reloading still isn't happening.
    Is it possible that you have Reload Every add-on and you have it set for that page?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zicari View Post
    Wayne,
    Can you list any Add-ons that you have installed in Firefox?
    I'm on Google News and mine doesn't refresh at all.
    https://www.google.com/news

NoScript might help, but I have all the scripts active on that page, and reloading still isn't happening.
    Is it possible that you have Reload Every add-on and you have it set for that page?
    No, I don't have Reload Every. I have Java Console in 'extensions', and the plugins are in the attached jpg. What other plugins do you have?
    Are you sure it never refreshes? When I put a check mark in "Warn me when websites try to redirect or update the page", then it seems to stall the refresh a bit longer, but it still does the refresh. That also screws up my financial websites operation, though, which is also irritating. Do you have that checked, and are not waiting long enough for a refresh, possibly? I'd be very interested in seeing your plugin list. Thanks for the reply.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    It seems like you aren't the only one frustrated, even tho this article is from 2009, it points to what you are experiencing

Frustrated with Google News Auto Refresh

One suggestion is to submit a feature you would like to see implemented

Google Suggestion Submission

One user said this, "The workaround that I have found is to disable all scripting on google.com and gstatic.com. This seems to halt the auto-refresh on news, and some other bloat. That is fine enough for me...."
    Last edited by MaBelleMichelle; 2011-01-20 at 11:27.
    Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, MaBelleMichelle. That's a good research find you made; I was beginning to think I was the "only one" perturbed by this. I'm going to try to figure out how to disable scripting on only that page, to see if that solves my problem...without causing multiple others. I don't have much faith in Google acting on my suggestions, if they haven't done it already for other folks.

Edit: OK, I installed NoScript and none of the variations of allowing/disallowing scripts, that I tried, made any difference; Google news still refreshed. So, I found an add-on called RefreshBlocker v0.8 and installed that. No dice. I couldn't make it work on that Google site (the only site for which I wanted it), so I'll be uninstalling that one. As a side note, that addon has pitifully deficient documentation!!! Also, I wonder if some of the posters here, who say their screen is not refreshing, have just not waited long enough. The page has a meta refresh time of 900 seconds (15 minutes). It looks, to me, like the page refreshes if that time limit is reached OR they update the page and force(?) it earlier.
    Last edited by cws; 2011-01-20 at 22:54. Reason: add followup...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    CWS, I didn't realize the refresh was a 15 minute refresh.
    You are right, i didn't wait that long.
    I thought you were experiencing something that prevented you from reading an entire article. I did notice in the News Settings - if you are logged in to Google, you can change this - "Open articles in New window" option which might help.
    It is kind of relevant for News to be updated continuously. And I believe they would be using a Server side refresh, which means you really wouldn't have control on your end to prevent it.

RefreshBlocker didn't work? And you set the Options for it to Blacklist google news? I haven't tested it yet, but I will when I can get to my VM again. Interesting.

Edited - RefreshBlocker didn't work for me either.
    Sorry, I can't help. Curious, does if it refreshes in the same way in other browsers as well.
    Last edited by mtz1of4; 2011-01-21 at 16:31.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, mtz1of4, I already have it open articles in a new tab (not a new window, though). Sure, I understand the idea of 'news' being updated, but I, and many others, would rather have control over it. Google is well aware of the theory, and chooses to do it their way. I'll just live with it, or find another news source...which is what I did when I became unhappy with CNN.

I'm not sure how 'server side refresh' works, but I think that may be why I couldn't get RefreshBlocker to work. Yes, I tried the blacklist method on several versions of news.google.com addresses. There are a couple of examples of addresses with 'wild cards', but no explanation of their use, and a check column named 'RegExp" (or something like that) which has no explanation, either. The programmer should be embarrassed, IMO.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When you are in the news feed. Do they have where people can leave comments at the bottom of the article? If so, that may be why it is refreshing your page every 15 minutes. I know that yahoo news refreshes like that. I think it is longer than 15 minutes though but I never did time how long between page refreshes.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cando69 View Post
    When you are in the news feed. Do they have where people can leave comments at the bottom of the article? If so, that may be why it is refreshing your page every 15 minutes. I know that yahoo news refreshes like that. I think it is longer than 15 minutes though but I never did time how long between page refreshes.
    Yes, some of the articles have a comments feature, but those are not Google pages; they are various news sites collected by the Google news "search". Those various sites do not refresh. Thanks for trying, though. ;-)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtz1of4 View Post

Edited - RefreshBlocker didn't work for me either.
    Sorry, I can't help. Curious, does if it refreshes in the same way in other browsers as well.
    Interesting question, mtz1of4. I just sat on the page for 30+ minutes, in IE8, and it did NOT refresh! However, I don't like the look of IE, now that I've been using FF for about a year.