New Lounger
    Thanks
    I purchased a new computer in November with Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010. The Outlook has not worked since day one. I completed uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2010 thinking we might have had a bad download with the computer, but there was no improvement. Anytime I try to Open Outlook it affects the operating system. When I try to shut down, it just loops through the shut down screen so I have to do a hard shut down. It will also not let me "kill" the process from task manager. I appreciate any help you can give.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Is Office 2010 the 32-bit or 64-bit version? Microsoft recommends the 32-bit version unless you have a specifice reason to use the 64-bit version (i.e. very, very large spreadsheets).

What do you mean by "affects the operating system" when you open Outlook? Do you get an error? Does the system slow down dramatically?

Are Windows 7 & Office 2010 both up-to-date with patches?

What are the hardware specifications for the PC?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Office 2010 is the 32 bit version and so is my Windows 7. Both are up to date on patches. My computer is a Dell Vostro 230 with 2GB Ram with the Intel Core Duo CPU E7500 2.93 GHz.

As for the affecting the operating system -- Yes it seemed to use up the resources available. And there was also the shut down issue and not being able to kill the process.

Thank you very much for the help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you had Task Manager running when you start Outlook just to double check what is using the system so heavily?

What kind of account(s) is/are defined in Outlook? Exchange, POP3, IMAP,?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No I did not try to run Tank Manager. I will try that - I will have to start Outlook in safe mode. It locks up within seconds of opening now. The only account is a POP3 account.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does this happen with other Office apps?

Does this happen with other non-Office apps?

Have you run malware scans?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No it only happens with Outlook, no other programs. I just now ran a malware scan with nothing found.

Thank you for your help!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem and it all came down to some corrupt fonts in the windows\fonts directory. For me, the offending font was Helvetica - try moving out any hv* fonts found in your fonts directory (I suggest moving rather than deleting, in case they're not the culprit!).

Then restart Outlook, and see if that solves it.

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try putting starting from the command prompt "/safe" option or add it to the shortcut "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE" /recycle /safe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same kinds of problems until I renamed my Helvetica fonts, which completely solved things. Good luck.

Stan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had various problems develop with Outlook 2010 including crashes and inability to send web sites in IE8 via email. Finally I could not open an email from cdc.gov getting a message from Outlook that olmapi32.dll was not compatible so Outlook was closed and re-opened. I thought I must re-install Office 2010 but, when I opened the install, I was given a 'repair' option. I ran that and re-booted (Windows 7 64-bit) but Outlook was not fixed so I ran the repair again and re-booted again. That fixed it. It's only been a few days but, so far, no problems.

Norman

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have errors to which I must use Scanpst.exe several times in order to receive subsequent emails. I use 32 bit Outlook 2010 with 64 bit Windows 7. How do you correct this problem?