New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 no-reformat, nondestructive rebuild?

A while back, Fred Langla posted this about XP. XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
    Can the same thing be done witn Win 7?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Christian View Post
    A while back, Fred Langla posted this about XP. XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
    Can the same thing be done witn Win 7?
    Can you link us to the article?

Thanks
    Hi Chris and welcome to the Lounge!

Yes, you can do a nondestructive repair install of Windows 7. Check out this SevenForums tutorial on just how to do it.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Can you link us to the article?

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...questid=709447

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Chris and welcome to the Lounge!

Yes, you can do a nondestructive repair install of Windows 7. Check out this SevenForums tutorial on just how to do it.
    Well, this says you must be able to open Win 7 to do thia and you must have the same SP level. This may not work for me.
    Here's my problem:
    I did a clean install of Win 7 Pro ona an ASUS Maximus Formula W/ a Q6600 all stock. When I did this I configured the Disk as IDE in BIOS. So far, so good. I now want to store my data on a RAID-5 array. Keeping my current system disk for programs. I know I can configurre RAID in BIOS 1 non raid disk for systems and do another clean install and rebuild my system but that's a great deal of work if I can avoid it.
    I have the current version of Acronis etc and was able to accomplish this in XP using the nondestructive method Fred Langla described, but that would work using the XP install disk to boot.. How can I accomplish this in Win &. I can use Win software to Mirror, stripe or span but not configure a RAID-5 array. Again I do not want to boot from the array, just store data. Any way I can do this?

Thanks
    If you have a standard installation of Windows 7 on your system disk, you can do a repair/reinstall. In Windows 7, it is not done by booting the DVD. While in Windows, launch the DVD and you will be offered a repair option.

On a non-standard installation like mine, it won't work; but I rely on disk images, so it's not a big loss to me.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    If you have a standard installation of Windows 7 on your system disk, you can do a repair/reinstall. In Windows 7, it is not done by booting the DVD. While in Windows, launch the DVD and you will be offered a repair option.

On a non-standard installation like mine, it won't work; but I rely on disk images, so it's not a big loss to me.
    When I installed Win 7, I configured the System Disk as IDE. Now, I want to build a RAID-5 array for data storage, not for use as a system disk. When I go back into BIOS and configure the Disls as RAID, leave the OS disk as non-raid and configure the other 3 as RAID 5 the machine will not boot into windows and I get a BSOD. So I cannot get into Windows at all at this point. Do you think and Image AS in Acronis from the system disk built while in IDE mode would correctly install on the non-RAID disk? The next choice is a complete system re-build.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Christian View Post
    When I installed Win 7, I configured the System Disk as IDE. Now, I want to build a RAID-5 array for data storage, not for use as a system disk. When I go back into BIOS and configure the Disls as RAID, leave the OS disk as non-raid and configure the other 3 as RAID 5 the machine will not boot into windows and I get a BSOD. So I cannot get into Windows at all at this point. Do you think and Image AS in Acronis from the system disk built while in IDE mode would correctly install on the non-RAID disk? The next choice is a complete system re-build.
    I'm guessing that when you are re-configuring in BIOS, your system disk is getting changed from IDE to SATA, and Windows is not loading because of the SATA driver issue. You can try doing a startup repair by booting the Windows 7 DVD and choosing the startup repair option when it's offered to you.

That may not be the issue, but I would try that first.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You are correct, I was changing the BIOS to access the RAID menu. I have never had much success using the repair option previously; do you have any words of wisdom as to how to do this? I tried to build an array within windows using disk manager, but the only optionns I could use were, Mirrored, Stripe or Span. "Build RAID-5 array" was greyed out.

Thanks
    You will need to run the Startup Repair by booting the DVD. Your installation has an IDE driver loaded for your hard drive, and now you have configured it (by setting up RAID) as a SATA drive. One of the first options in the Repair menu is to Load Drivers. Windows 7 has many SATA drivers preloaded, but it may not have yours (for your particular motherboard). Whenever I boot into the DVD, I have to load a SATA driver for my chipset from a CD.

Windows is not booting because it cannot see your hard drive. At least, that's my guess at this point.

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are ways to enable AHCI (SATA) support in a Windows 7 with IDE. See the following article
    http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-ena...-installation/

Or Google search on "ahci mode windows 7".