New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I normally just use hibernation for system shutdown and only restart or shutdown when necessary, or about once a week; but as of about a week ago, when a program update made it necessary to 'restart' - the system would boot, only about two or three icons would show up in the system notification tray. I always like to check there to make sure my firewall (Comodo - free) and my virus app (M$ Essentials) were up and running. As I check Process Explorer and Task Manager, the processes are listed and seem to be running but I don't feel comfortable with that. Having just gone through a patch Tuesday, it was a fight to get to a point where the patches would take effect and the icons would be loaded in the system tray; I had to go through a series of patches, restart, system restore; patches, restart, system restore, until I got to a point where the patches were installed and the icons were loaded. But I'm sure the very next time I have to shut down or restart, the icons will once again be absent. My system is WinXP, SP3, 2GB RAM, 80 GB HDD.
    Your every consideration is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Bob

Thanks
    A complete uninstall and reinstall of the programs who's missing icons in the taskbar, that's after the system has been updated with the current round of patches.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bob,

Is there a little white up pointing triangle to the left of the icons you do see? If so click it and you're other icons should popup. If this happens you need to unlock the taskbar and enlarge the task tray area, then relock the taskbar.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Retired Geek and Clint,
    Thanks very much for your responses. (I too am retired, and loving it.) I don't recall seeing the triangle you speak of, when it happens again I will be surely be more attentive. The uninstall/reinstall seems a bit drastic but if its the only long term fix, I will do just that. I'll report back the next time I have to shut down/restart.
    Thank you,
    Bob