New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the cross posting but don't know how to move thread from hardware.

This one has been bugging me for many months and all Internet searches come up empty. Not that others aren't having similar issues, but no solution has been found.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, AMD Athlon II X4, 4 GB RAM, and a motherboard-integral RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller NIC. Even though I do have LAN and Internet access, all indicators say otherwise. The network icon in the task tray has the yellow triangle with an exclamation point indicating no connection. Left clicking on the icon shows "Not connected. No connections are available." Opening Network Sharing Center says "You are currently not connected to any networks." Clicking on Connect To a Network says the same thing as above when clicking on the network icon in the task tray. I am unable to see the network map to do any problem solving.

Aside from the fact that I'm of a type where everything will be working properly on my computer, I am having issues with network consistency regarding downloads and uploads, but am unable to do any troubleshooting. I have done most every conceivable scan for malware with no indication that I have nasty stuff on the computer.

Of note, this problem showed up first when I was living in NY and FiOS was the ISP, and having moved to Florida, is still present with Comcast as the ISP.

So, at this time all I can do is call out, help! Does anyone have insight to this problem?

Thanks
    Hi hermes, is it a wired connection ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, hard wired. I do have a WiFi that supports three other PCs and they all work just fine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hermes View Post
    Yes, hard wired. I do have a WiFi that supports three other PCs and they all work just fine.
    If you can, enter your router's setting page, make a note of your username, password and type of connection and reset it back to 'factory defaults'. When done, power router OFF, Shut down your PC, power ON your router and wait till all lights are 'ON' then restart your PC.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm ready to put a sledge hammer to this thing and start over. Of course I have reset both the WiFi router and cable modem several times to no avail. Right now I am connected directly to the cable modem and no joy.

I have turned off the mother board based NIC via BIOS and installed a PCI based one gigabit NIC thinking it may be a hardware problem. No success. Previous observations remain the same.

New observation: In Advanced Sharing settings where you change sharing options for different network profiles you can choose between a home or work network or a public network. Though I have never set this up for a public network and I have all options in public network turned off, it says that the public network is the current profile, not the home or work network that was originally set up and working.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Not connected. No connections are available.

Several people have reported this problem on other sites as well. It seems the easiest fix is the Realtek nic card replacement. Try updating the driver first. If that doesn't work, try a different card. Realtek and win 7 don't play well together.