Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows XP not reognise SD card of 2gbwhereas lower capacity SD Crads are ok. What remedy???

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Most likely a different card reader.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Card readeron my HP Pavilionismarkedigital media;SD.MS/Pro.MMC.SM" and seems to work well with exception of the @GB SD card!!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, older card readers will not always read newer higher capacity flash drives.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there an SD Card DRIVER that one can upgrade to and if so where do I get it???

Rgds

Administrator
    Thanks
    If there is a driver or firmware update you should get it from HP. If there is nothing available for your PC, then you need to get an external reader that supports the higher capacity flash drives.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    cohendc, greets.

I have the same problem, my 2 year old Acer will not read the SDHC ( HC ) ! I got on eBay, a USB card reader that reads them all. Joy !...............Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

Formatting SD cards of any flavour using the vanilla "one-size-fits-all" approach inherent in any computer OS towards other devices is at best adequate and at worst, if it works, gives a card with flaky performance.
    Using the formatting application recommended and supplied with your hardware (smartphone, camera, PDA, whatever) is the best option but failing that this dedicated application from the industrial consortium supporting and promoting SD cards assures that the SD standard is followed and supported without short-cuts or liberties being taken with the standard to give you the best chance of success.

Ciao
    When arguing with an idiot make sure they are not doing the same.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Transend SD reader that works perfectly with my XP and every SD card I've ever used. It has several numbers on it but I don't know which if any of them is the model number. It is a tiny little guy, about 1-3/4" long x 1/4 thick and 3/4" wide, not including the USB connectorl.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Large capacity SD cards

If you're having trouble with large-size SD card & XP, try formatting the SD card with NTFS. Most of them are default formatted with FAT32. Sometimes this works.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got a 1 GB sd card and found I couldn't use it on my laptop. I discovered my laptop wouldn't support it which kind of surprises me because it has a multi card slot that takes several kinds of cards. It wasn't until recently when I wanted to use that card in my camera (the card works in camera fine but limited on ways to use it) I hooked my camera up to the laptop via usb and used the sd card that way, going into my computer and bringing up the files and transfering them to my documents. At this moment I can't remember if I reformatted the card while hooked up to usb or back in the camera itself. One or the other worked.

Thanks

Cool

Several things.....
    When I first read this thread, a while back, I didn't own a 2 gig SD card. My 1 gig and lower cards worked just fine in my desktops add-in card reader.
    Since then, I've done a NON-Destructive reinstall of Windows XP, as per an article I found by Fred Langa, that was mentioned in a Windows Secrets newsletter.
    Well, since then, my internal card reader won't read any of my SD cards of any size, including my new 2 gig SD card.
    All read just fine in my Acer ONE Netbook.
    But, what to do now with my main PC......?
    Well, some time back a customer of mine gave me a "Sandisk MicroMate" SD card reader. IT WORKS just fine for reading all my SD cards, from 64 meg to 2 gig's. I found this web site, explaining more about the MicroMate than I could do here. Check it out.
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEMQ8wIwAQ#

I guess now I need to find out why my internal card reader has quit reading cards.
    I suppose that's a topic for another thread and another time.

Cheers Mates, Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    This will be my last post to this topic.
    Today I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on a new HD in my desktop PC.
    After the install was complete, I tried out every SD card in my arsenal, from 64 megs to 2 gig's.
    Every one of them read just fine. So, my own problem with reading SD cards on my old XP install, was all the fault of Windows itself and not my hardware. I'm just assuming it's a driver problem. I hope that helps someone else.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor

PS: I was also able to activate Windows Mail by just replacing msoe.dll
    in the 64 bit \Program Files\ folder. Then I made a shortcut of 'WinMail.exe' and put it on the desktop.
    It works 98% like Outlook Express 6. But all that is food for another thread.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi. Im new here so please bare with me. I have just installed a fresh copy of windows xp SP3 Im running an acer aspire 9410 I have all drivers installed , all updates are done, and still I cannot get the SD card to read. I have downloaded a number of different drivers and nothing is working. can some one please HELP me.....Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi1970 View Post
    Hi. Im new here so please bare with me. I have just installed a fresh copy of windows xp SP3 Im running an acer aspire 9410 I have all drivers installed , all updates are done, and still I cannot get the SD card to read. I have downloaded a number of different drivers and nothing is working. can some one please HELP me.....Thanks
    have you tried a brand new EXTERNAL reader ?
    $10-15 bucks
    hook onto your usb port
    easy cheap thing to try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast