Thread: Windows updates

New Lounger
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    A question about Windows updates that fail.
    The question is: When ever I have updates for MS Office 2007 and 2010, I get a failed update on these when I click start and click on update and shutdown or when I got control panel, windows updates, then update. The only way around this is to install these updates manually, what I call forcing them.
    What I find out is that these updates require me to put a check mark in a box and then proceed with the update. Is there a way around this issue without doing this manually?
    I manage a Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7 (64 Bit), Toshiba Laptop with Windows Vista (32 Bit) and two Windows XP (32 Bit) desktop computers.
    All four of these require me to update MS Office the same way.
    Thanks, Eric

Usually with Microsoft Updates the only updates that are automatically checked are those deemed critical, and perhaps important (I do no t remember about important for sure) all others have to be manually selected. I am not sure if this addresses your concerns or not.
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Good morn, Eric.

Whenever you are offered an "unchecked" update, it is because it should be allowed into your system but only after some other update is done. I found that last week, the KB976902 was on the list but unchecked. It only was installed after all the others were. I had checked it but it was a "failed" update. It then reentered the download site and it installed properly.

It would be nice if MS did not mix the deck in this way but if one knows about it, one is ahead. A FWIW for sure.

Have a great day.............Jean.