2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi gang,
    I am creating a form that has dollarr amounts in it. I want the amounts entered to be converted into text.
    {MyAmount \ * CARDTEXT } works just fine for regular numbers but in this case we are talking dollars and cents (i.e. 1,100.50 = one thousand one hundred dollars and fifty cents).
    How can I achieve that?
    Also, I work on a French version of Word. The form I am creating is in English. Even if I change the language, the format proposed for numbers is in the French format (i.e. 1 000,00).
    I can change the format to 1,000.00 which displays the numbers just fine but the written number appears as "one" instead of "one thousand", that's because of where the comma is place in the French number.
    This form will be used on French and English versions of Word. Anyway I could force Word to recognise these numbers are in English.

tks
    Johanne Champagne
    Montreal (Quebec) CANADA

Thanks
    This article is for very old versions of Word, but the \* DollarText switch appears to still work in Word 2003: WD: How to Use DollarText to Convert Numbers to Cardinal Text (MSKB 173287).

Regarding the language/separator issue, I don't know whether you can work around that by setting the language of text (Tools > Language) or whether it is based on the Windows Control Panel settings. Edit: I see you've already tried language. Hmmm...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Jefferson,

Works fine in Word 2007 also.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, DollarText doesn't spell out the cents. It merely expresses them as xx/100! If you want to express the cents in words also, check out the item titled 'Expressing Numbers As Words' in my Word Field Maths Tutorial
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tks for the help.
    Unfortunately I will not be able to get a correct "reading" of my numbers because of the French Windows and Word I have.
    I also realised that I cannot make any calculations because Word cannot interpret the numbers correctly.
    I would have to change the Windows Regional and Linguistic options to make the numbers work. I can do this here but I can't have the users at the other end change their Windows Options.
    It is really a pain when you think about it because it's so easy in Excel to tell it where the decimal point (or comma) goes.
    We are still using Word XP. Will I still experience this type of problem when we swich to 2007 (or 2010!).
    Johanne Champagne
    Montreal (Quebec) CANADA