Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for the rather stilted structure of my post, I had originally composed it before logging on here, and my frame of mind was rather, ah, skewed at the time. It makes sense, but I admit it is a bit of a strange read.

What I want to do:

I want a script or batch file to enable a Windows XP SP3 machine to 'log onto' a Windows 7 account so a printer that is cable attached to the Windows 7 machine can be used from the Windows XP machine. I want to save it on my desktop, so when I need it, I can just click on it.

The logic I'd like to use is the following: "Check to see if the Windows 7 machine is on. If it is, check to see if the XP machine is already logged onto it. If the XP machine is NOT logged on, then log on."

What I've done to so far to make it happen:

I have already made a password-protected limited account on the Windows 7 box. I have set up a workgroup home network, connected by hard-wire Ethernet, and insured that all machines can see each other. The printer is cable-attached to the Windows 7 box, and is shared. The Windows 7 box has a reserved IP address on my home router, and I make sure it is using that reserved address because of anothe program I use. The Win XP box uses DCHP to get its IP address.

What I'm doing manually, that I want to automate:

On the XP box, I open Windows Explorer, then I go to Network Neighborhood->"local network"->"Windows 7 box". Then a prompt for an account and password appears, which I provide. After entering this information, I can now print to the Windows 7 box's printer as any other available printer.

Other background information:

My Win 7 box is running Home Premium, and the XP box is running Professional. I am wondering if it is even possible to script against Win 7 Home Premium in this way, or if I would have to upgrade to Professional first.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What you need to do is have a account that is the same name and password on the XP machine as you do on the Windows 7 machine(s). Then set up a networked printer on the XP machine to the Windows 7 printer. This account does NOT have to be one that is logged into, just that all machine needs to have this same name and passworded account.

If the Windows 7 machine is NOT on, you will not have access, but when it is turned on and up and running, then the print job will get printed.

If you are going to share a printer on the network, the computer AND printer needs to always on. You should NOT have to upgrade the OS.

You may have issues with the "Limited" account as they may NOT allow network access.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you want to stick to the "different user" option, a batch file with NET USE should do the trick.
    e.g. net use \\windows7compyname\printername password /USER:username
    If you add the /persistent switch Windows will remember the password and connect when required.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Whew, sorry it took me so long to reply...I had more than a small amount of trouble logging back in after the Lounge upgrade. I almost needed to log into the Lounge in order to find out how to do it, it turns out I was somehown making a seriously overblown mountain out of an anthill. To the person who was patient in showing me how to help myself, thank you!

Now, DaveA, I actually did create an account of the same name and password on the XP box as it exists on my Win7 box. But, the XP box has all the documents in a much older account local to it, so simply telling my brother to login to the new account to print documents is a bit more than a little inconvenient.

PaulT, I did figure out how to get the XP box to connect to my Win7-attached printer using the "net use" command. But I've a couple of newbie-like questions about the switches. First of all, is it important to explicitly assign a printer to an lpt# port if the printer is actually one that is attached to a USB port? And secondly, what is the difference between the /PERSISTANT switch and the /SAVECRED switch?
    Last edited by AtraEquus; 2011-01-22 at 10:58. Reason: spelling

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows doesn't need network printers assigned to local ports, this is only required for badly behaved programs that insist on printing to a specific port.

Persistent saves the connection details and re-connects at start up.

Savecred saves the credentials if you specify a user/pass, rather than using the current user details.

cheers, Paul