New Lounger
    Thanks
    My NEC XP computer hard drive failed under extended warranty. Was replaced - failed - replaced again. It now has two problems: the drive is now E: and cannot be changed, and the new HDD is a dynnamic disk which won't allow me to load my Acronis back up. Anyone have suggestions - I'm not too familiar with behind the scenes computer stuff.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How many disks do you have installed?
    Where is the disk showing up as dynamic?
    Do you have drives C: or D:?
    Run WINMSD and provide the disk details.
    1. Start > Run > winmsd
    2. Components > Storage > Drives
    3. Clcik in the right pane and press Ctrl A to select all and Ctrl C to copy.
    4. Paste here.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul,
    Only have a single hard disk, 500g Western Digital. Acronis won't work with it. A friend went into BIOS and found its formated as dynamic. Doing this on another computer, but the drives on the NEC are: D for CD ROM, E for Local Fixed Disk - the problem - and G for removable disk. Info displayed is Compressed: no, file system NTFS.

Glenn.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Glenn, the BIOS will not tell you the Windows format. Please follow the instructions above and post the result.
    Alternatively, Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc
    Post the column info.

If the disk has been converted to dynamic, the only solution is to reformat and start again.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    Disk O
    Dynamic
    465.76GB

If I right click on the info it allows new volume, on the shaded area (shows as E it allows open, explore, extend volume, change drive letter and paths (but won't let me change E anyway) properties or help.
    Properties gives type: local disk, file system: NTFS, and the allow indexing box is checked.

Any attempt to re-format hits a brick wall, although there must be a way. Perhaps I should hit the computer with a brick wall?

Glenn.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Somebody has converted your disk to dynamic - an unnecessary move on a single disk system. Your only option is to boot from CD, delete the partition and re-install from scratch. You should back up your data first, of course.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What a drama! Note to all members: NEVER install or format to a dynamic disk unless you really know what you are doing.
    Finally up and running, but... for whatever reason it wouldn't allow any changes or additions to partitions, tried to boot from CD as you suggested but it insisted on going back to the same format.
    Then a friend of mine who is a software writer used an old trick - booted from a Win98 CD and convinced it to load that. Some tools on the 98CD allowed the format change, restored from Acronis and bingo, XP is back with Office etc programs, music, photos and Hard Drive is C where it should be.
    Paul, thanks for your time and advice in answering to this thread.