Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a date in cell W1 type in as Nov 2010 and formatted as "mmm yyyy" I want a formula in cell X1 as follows: = W1 -31 to appear as Oct 2010 and then copy the folmula from X1 to CA1, but when I insert the formula in X1 , I get ############

I have tried this on another workbook and it work, so I am no sure what is causing this on my current workbook

Please advise how I can resolve this
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's something really odd about this Worksheet: if you display 1 December 2010 with a number format it should show as 40,513, but yours shows as 0.

In turn this means that X1 is a negative number -31, hence the display of ########.

I don't think you are really displaying dates at all, which is the root cause, but I cannot see why - I'm investigating . . . .

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've at least narrowed this down to the data entry process.

If you type 40483 (the numerical equivalent of 1 November 2010) in cell W1, cell X1 is calculated and displayed correctly.

Now to find out what's going on with data entry . . .

Thanks
    You don't have a number in the cells, they are the literal text "Nov 2011" which is evaluated in the formula W1-31 as 0-31 which is negative so the formatted cell as a date will be negative and can not be displayed properly.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Found it !

You have the transition options set, which means that 1/12/2010 is treated as a division and is therefore nearly zero !

Go into Tools, Options, Transition and, ander Sheet Options, uncheck the two checked boxes, and all will be well.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies and for the assistance. I managed to determine what was causing the date not to be recognised as a serial date. The workbook used to be a Lotus file which I converted into Excel several years ago. Under Excel uptions (Advanced) I unchecked "Transition Formula Entry"

Regards

Howard