New Lounger
    Thanks
    the computer (laptop) has been doing this for several months on and off. Sometimes it would shut off, then I'd hit the power button and a few seconds, again, it shuts off. I tried as best I can searching for answers, looking at my software, drivers, attempting different things that might cure it (not overly knowledgeable, but I tend to get by most of the time), nothing has worked. Aside from this problem, I've been without a battery for a few years, didn't really need one and they were too expensive, but recently I found one that was reasonable and bought it. I always wondered if this might have something to do with these shutdowns but I thought how could it if it only started about 4 or 5 months ago.
    Anyway, got the new battery, calibrated it, and noticed the same day or next that it was charging alot. In fact, I've had the battery for about 4 days and it's been at 99% chargeing with the charge light on, only a couple times has it registered as fully charged and no charge light. And I did the initial calibration right so it should have been working ok. Then at one point a couple days ago, I noticed that it was operating on the battery only, and the lap was plugged in. I thought, wow, what is going on? Eventually it shut off, and I took the adapter, unplugged it, and turned the lap back on. It powered up but now I am convinced (I hope I'm right because I sent for a new adapter)the adapter is faulty....I have dropped it a couple of times in the past, it tends to get real warm (I wouldn't say hot but not far from it) so I figured this must be the reason the lap shuts off, but I never knew it because I didn't have a battery.
    Do you think I'm correct in my assumption that it's the battery? I spent a bit of time looking over the compatible adapters, the one I have is 120 watts, most are, although they go down to 90 and below and there is one for 135 watts, which is the one I got. The HP site listed the 135 as a replacement for my notebook, but as said, the one I have is 120 which came with the notebook. I got the adapter from an online store, not HP but seems like a pretty good online store. Your opinion too, if the wattage of the adapter is a good choice, better for this lap, and would it reduce heat on the pack? Or maybe was it getting very warm from having dropped it? Thanks for your input in advance.

Thanks
    Sounds like you might have an intermittant power jack connection tha many laptops suffer from. Does the laptop power down when you wiggle the power jack connection with no battery installed?

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Power adapters on most laptops do get moderately hot - not too hot to be uncomfortable to pick up but sufficient to warm your hands nicely on a cold day.

Really, there is insufficient information to ascertain if the adapter or battery is causing the random shut downs. It could be a clogged fan causing the processor or GPU to overheat. Of it could simply be a component failing through old age. The power bus was running for a long time on the adapter supply only. Fitting a new battery may have upped the bus voltage sufficiently to stress an ageing component. But that is solely speculation using the known data.

Thanks
    How old is the laptop itself? Laptops are more prone to heat problems than desktops due to the close quarters in laptops. It is entirely possible some components in the laptop are getting old and more prone to heat problems. My suggestion first and foremost would be to create an Image of your laptop before it dies completely in case this is a failing component problem. These tend to have intermittent problems until one day castrophy, dead.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    Thanks for the responses.
    @Jerry...I think it has happened, only maybe a couple times, but sure it has.I remember at least one time that I picked the lap up or just moved it over a bit and it shut off, even though the plug was secure in back.
    @Terry...I just got the battery a few days ago, and it's been having the shutdowns for several months. But I was able to see, when I had the battery calibrated and put in, that the lap all of a sudden was running on the battery and not AC power, and it was plugged in. The battery kept draining and it hit me then, that this must be why it's been having the shutdowns, because my adapter was becoming faulty. These shutdowns started suddenly and on and off have been continuing. I have downloaded a couple of heat monitors and there are times it gets kinda hot, I can just put my hand underneath to the right of the lap and feel the heat. BUT...there have been a number of times where the lap has shut down and there was no heat to speak of, the monitors showed that to be true also. It's when it shut down and really, no reason at all, nothing running requiring high CPU, memory, etc and putting my hand under the lap was actually cool. Yet, it would still shut off.
    @Ted.....the lap is about 5 years old maybe 5 and a half. I've taken pretty good care of it, upgraded the memory from 512 MB to 1.4 GB, HD from 60 GB to 100 GB. Keep virus and spy-ware, firewall going and current, updates, clean with a few utilities "winutilites, ccleaner, Amigo," so overall I try to keep it as "new" as I can possibly with it being as old as it is. It's a pavilion zv5000. It's been a great mostly trouble free lap.

Does anyone know of the wattage in an adapter, the one came with this is 120 watts, the one I ordered is 135 watts. The HP site recommends the 135 for this lap as a replacement. I wondered if there would be anything positive about this higher wattage adapter verses the one I have. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceyman View Post
    Does anyone know of the wattage in an adapter, the one came with this is 120 watts, the one I ordered is 135 watts. The HP site recommends the 135 for this lap as a replacement. I wondered if there would be anything positive about this higher wattage adapter verses the one I have. Thanks.
    I would say it doesn't matter much. For the same voltage, the new adapter will be able to support higher currents, but that won't affect in any relevant way your computer. What really matters is that it is compatible with the computer.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceyman View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for the responses.
    @Jerry...I think it has happened, only maybe a couple times, but sure it has.I remember at least one time that I picked the lap up or just moved it over a bit and it shut off, even though the plug was secure in back.
    @Terry...I just got the battery a few days ago, and it's been having the shutdowns for several months. But I was able to see, when I had the battery calibrated and put in, that the lap all of a sudden was running on the battery and not AC power, and it was plugged in. The battery kept draining and it hit me then, that this must be why it's been having the shutdowns, because my adapter was becoming faulty. These shutdowns started suddenly and on and off have been continuing. I have downloaded a couple of heat monitors and there are times it gets kinda hot, I can just put my hand underneath to the right of the lap and feel the heat. BUT...there have been a number of times where the lap has shut down and there was no heat to speak of, the monitors showed that to be true also. It's when it shut down and really, no reason at all, nothing running requiring high CPU, memory, etc and putting my hand under the lap was actually cool. Yet, it would still shut off.
    @Ted.....the lap is about 5 years old maybe 5 and a half. I've taken pretty good care of it, upgraded the memory from 512 MB to 1.4 GB, HD from 60 GB to 100 GB. Keep virus and spy-ware, firewall going and current, updates, clean with a few utilities "winutilites, ccleaner, Amigo," so overall I try to keep it as "new" as I can possibly with it being as old as it is. It's a pavilion zv5000. It's been a great mostly trouble free lap.

That suggests there is a good chance that the power block may be the cause of the problem. Many current laptops only require 65W power blocks, so it shows how far development has gone to keep power requirements down in the last few years. Please let us know what happens when the new adapter arrives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll update after a couple weeks on the new adapter. For the first time since putting in the new battery, it's been running without charging (since yesterday), no charge light on and the power icon in the taskbar doesn't show charging. But it says in control panel "99%" remaining on battery (operating on AC) and this is pretty much where it has remained. Is this something normal? Should it say 100%? Maybe it's nothing to be concerned about. Not sure.At least at this point it hasn't been charging

PS...it's always good to be a member of this forum, for obvious reasons. Great loungers and great advice. And another reason is yesterday when I went to check the spelling, I didn't have the 'spell check' it suggests. So now I have a spell check that follows me everywhere simply right clicking....like that alot!