Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Building a Win7 maintenance kit

I just ordered a new computer with Win 7 and McAfee security installed. I would like to put a software utility kit together to keep the system running relatively smooth. People have recommended products such as CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Ad-aware, etc. I will be new to Win 7 and McAfee (always used Norton). Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Hi Dick, welcome to the lounge.
    If you have your OS installed corectly, with ALL updates from Windows & Microsoft, use W7 to create a full image backup to an external hdd. Now you can experiment with whatever you want, then, if the fan changes colour you can easily restore it and start again.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Dick, My welcome as well.

My recommendations: ditch McAfee, it's reputation recently has become tarnished, install free MSE from MS instead.

I do use CCleaner to clean up temp files. I also clean the registry, but this is controversial in these forums. I have had no problems at all. I also use Privacy Mantra to elliminate temp stuff. CCleaner and Privacy Mantra seem to find different stuff.

Since MSE includes both AV and AM apps, I use Malwarebytes Free Edition for periodic scans, but not to run in real time. The prevailing thoughts are that only run 1 Av and 1 AM app in real time (running in background all the time) and since MSE includes both, you do not need more.

I use the software firewall included with Win 7 which seems very robust, but I use Windows 7 Firewall Control to help set up inbound and outbound firewall protection.

I use Auslogics Disk Defragmenter for defragmentation needs. Seems much quicker than Win 7 built in.

I would also recommend a good Imaging app to allow Up To Date Images to be made. Look in the Security and Backup forum for many discussions of these apps.

Last I would use some tips included in the following sites for customizing my Win 7 installation:

Paul Thurrott's Win 7 Supersite

How To Geek

Windows Seven Forum Tutorials
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I highly recommend adding these programs and other scripts to the toolbox:

Event Log Cleaner
    @echo off
    FOR /F "tokens=1,2*" %%V IN ('bcdedit') DO SET adminTest=%%V
    IF (%adminTest%)==(Access) goto noAdmin
    for /F "tokens=*" %%G in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO (call :do_clear "%%G")
    echo.
    echo Event Logs have been cleared! ^<press any key^>
    goto theEnd
    :do_clear
    echo clearing %1
    wevtutil.exe cl %1
    goto :eof
    :noAdmin
    echo You must run this script as an Administrator!
    echo ^<press any key^>
    :theEnd
    pause>NUL
    Copy and paste the above into notepad and rename it as a batch file. Make sure you can see file extentions. (.bat)

TakeOwnership
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

InstallTakeOwnership
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    Copy and paste the above into notepad and rename as a registry file. (.reg) Make sure you can see file extentions.

CCleaner
    Privacy Mantra 3.00
    SpaceSniffer 1.1.2.0
    Secunia PSI 2.0
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Sysinternals Suite
    Easeus Partition Master Home Edition 6.5.2
    (As a temporary install only. For manipulating partitions)
    SIW
    hwmonitor_1.17-64bit

*Among your first orders of business: Make a partition or two of your hard drive and create a backup image. Also make a recovery disk.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

joro (2011-01-23)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My two net-worked computers stay "very clean" with the help of the following:
    Ccleaner, MalwareBytes, and Avast (all FREE). However, you may want to give Norton AV 2011 a try (it has a 30-day trial version which I like very much.
    For disk imaging I like Acronis 2011 but a very good free program is Macrium Reflect.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

McAfee and "kit"

Hi Daf,

I also suggest and rather strongly to uninstall EVERY McAfee instance on your new computer! Norton 11 is very good, but at this point I would download MSE 2.0 free from Microsoft. It is fast, uses very little in the way of resources, and it works extremely well. As for the malware, there are several fee apps out there, most work very well. I also agree that the first thing you should do AFTER getting rid of McAfee is making that full system image to an external drive. Do it afterwards so you don't have to deal with the uninstall should you ever have to use the image to recover your pc. Good luck, Win7 is a winner (IMHO) Oh, I have used Norton since the first in the days of DOS, but stopped when it became such a resource hog. The new one is MUCH better, but the Microsoft Security Essentials is free and every bit as good, and uses even LESS!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the Advice. I will follow-up. I'm looking forward to laying my old computer to rest.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I would suggest you take a look at this link: http://reboot.pro/11852/

I've been using both the x86 and amd64 branches to build both USB stick and CD rescue media.
    I usually keep Paragon Partition Manager, Acronis Trueimage Home (2010 or 2011 work well) along with Agen Ransack, all my needed SATA and Wireless drivers and several other useful tools on the USB stick. Preferabley a 1 GB size although a 512 can be used if apps are tailored somewhat.

If I have a troublesome machine or just want to do a full image of a HD I just boot up the Make PE3 stick and go at it. This method has never failed me in the last couple of years.

HTH :-)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dump McAfee and be sure to uninstall using their Uninstall Tool (go to their website and search for it) otherwise you'll be picking files from you system forever. Another free security program that hasn't been mentioned is "Norton Security Suite". I is provided by Comcast...if you have Comcast cable internet service. It's free on Comcast site and it is about 95% of the Norton 360...couple of real minor things omitted. It is a really good product and price! (set it and forget it)

Lounger
    Thanks
    "Never knew what it was like to sleep alone, until I got married" Roderunner, you should use that W7 full image backup of your wife to stave off loneliness. Actually, thanks for the above tip...I don't know why but I never knew there was an image maker in W7.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seaboyd View Post
    Dump McAfee and be sure to uninstall using their Uninstall Tool (go to their website and search for it) otherwise you'll be picking files from you system forever.
    I too was going to suggest using the McAfee removal tool. Scroll down to Windows Vista \ 7

McAfee Removal for Win 7
    Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe Windows Secrets has also recommended this:
    I'd also suggest Secunia software's PSI (Personal software inspector) It can check for updates for all the other programs that can cause problems like Java, Adobe, other browser updates, quicktime etc. Because unfortunately there are many programs besides Windows and Office and browsers that are vulnerable to hackers. It's free.
    http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

It's a shame how many programs we need to have to try and keep our pc's clean and virus free.

Thanks
    As well as most of the other programs suggested, I use Piriform's Defraggler (also maker of CCLeaner)

Piriform Defraggler Download

I also use CCleaner for my registry cleaner which has never given me any issues whatsoever. I've used this for years;

CCleaner Registry.png
    Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MSE & more

I purchased a new Win7 system last year and went through the same process of building my admin tool kit. Some of my choices are old friends from XP days, while others are new discoveries.

I'd add my vote to using MSE. As a long-time ZoneAlarm Security Suite user, I had grown dissatisfied with the performance hit that resulted from that product's large memory footprint. Before installing something else on my new system, I decided to give MSE a try. After 8+ months of use, I'm highly satisfied that it's meeting all of my anti-malware requirements.

As a consequence, I'm also using Windows 7's built-in firewall. There have been no problems with this, but I missed being able to customize program access to the internet (as I had been able to do with ZA's firewall). I recently came across a utility that provides that functionality in conjunction with the Windows firewall: Windows 7 Firewall Control. PC World did a review of this utility; note that, in addition to the 32-bit version reviewed, a 64-bit version is also available. Like the ZA firewall in "learn" mode, there's a bit of nagging done as you use each of your apps for the first time (including most installers); W7FC displays a pop-up that allows you to specify the degree of internet access granted to the app, along with a option of making that choice either one-time or permanent. After going through your most-used apps one time, you'll see little of the W7FC pop-up. Again, this is for those of us who want that level of control (i.e., slightly paranoid).

The rest of my tool kit is as follows, by category, with links (all are free, as I recall, and are from reputable sources that I've carefully vetted):

Data Backup: Goodsync

System Recovery: Quick Restore Maker (one-click access to creating a system restore point)

Security: Microsoft Security Essentials, Personal Software Inspector (aka Secunia PSI), Windows 7 Firewall Control

Diagnostics: CPU-Z, Speccy

File Cleanup: CCleaner, Delete Doctor (deletes hard-to-delete files)

App Uninstaller: Revo Uninstaller (better than the Windows uninstaller, IMO; I like it so much that I've upgraded to the paid Pro version)

Startup Management: WinPatrol

Miscellaneous (a couple of custom shortcuts to access useful, but hard-to-find Windows control panels): Control Panel All Tasks List, Reliability Monitor

Thanks

Windows Maintenance Toolkit

Data Backup: Drive imaging. I use BootIt Next Generation. It's not free, but it is so much more than an imaging tool; boot manager, partition manager, BCD editor, etc.

System Recovery: Drive imaging. I have System Restore disabled. I don't use any recovery tool that runs under Windows. BootIt NG runs under DOS from a floppy (or a CD). It can also be installed to its own small partition on your hard drive.

Anti-malware: MSE (Windows Firewall runs under the MSE umbrella) exclusively.

Diagnostics: Chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow, plus the built-in memory diagnostic tool in Windows 7.

File Cleanup: Disk Cleanup. It's built into Windows. I've compared it to CCleaner on a fairly regular basis, and the only real improvement occurs if I were to allow CCleaner to delete files that I actually want to keep. I have my Temporary Internet Files cache set to 50 MB, and I want to keep my History and autocomplete, etc.

Uninstaller: Revo Uninstaller free version. It's quite thorough, and it's also the only "registry cleanup" utility that I will ever use. There is no need for any regular or semi-regular "cleaning" of the registry. If your system boots, the registry is clean enough.

Startup Management: Regedit and the Startup entries in the All Programs menu.

Registry Cleaner: Revo Uninstaller as mentioned above, and Regedit for specific issues. IMO if folks truly understood what the registry is and how it works, they would understand the lack of any real need for "registry cleaning". My advice is and shall always be, never use any "registry cleaner" for any reason at any time.

Defrag: MyDefrag. Free, quick, very effective.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-01-22 at 14:52. Reason: spelling
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast